In Silver Moonlight

CW: nausea and pain mention, explicit scenes, sex

Vin sat on the bed, his back leaning against the headboard, as Lucas snored softly beside him. He watched as the blankets rose and fell with his slumbering breath, a loving smile plastered on his face. He knew he should be sleeping as well, but his mind wouldn't allow it, so he simply resigned himself to an exhausting evening. As long as Lucas got his rest, nothing else mattered. After all, the full moon would be much harder on him than it would be on Vin.

As the sun rapidly approached midday, there came a soft knock at the door. Lucas stirred briefly, before shuffling his head further into his pillow, unbothered. Vin carefully slid out of bed, and tiptoed to the door. Doing his best to muffle the clacking of the latch, he pulled the door open, and stepped outside.

A messenger, with shaggy hair and worn clothes, waited for him, holding a large, cloth wrapped package—obviously, resembling a sword in silhouette—and a letter.

"Your highness," the man hastily bowed, "I have a delivery for Sir Lucas."

"Yes, of course. I shall pass it along to him, thank you." Vin returned in a low voice, accepting the parcel.

The man bowed again, then scurried off up the hill. Vin turned his gaze to the folded parchment in his hand, sealed with pressed wax, the relief taking the shape of crossed swords behind a large "B". There was no other indication of the sender, instead, it was merely addressed:

Lucas of Oakhill

Sir Lucas of Valkevilla

Readjusting the heavy sword-shaped package in his arms, Vin carefully pushed open the door, quietly stepping over the threshold. As the door tapped against the frame, Lucas stirred again, this time, coming to full—though incredibly groggy—consciousness.

Damn. Vin thought to himself, Lucas now wiping the sleep from his eyes and shuffling beneath the covers.

Small grunts escaped his throat, his back arching as he stretched. With a yawn and a heavy sigh, he pushed himself up on the mattress and glanced over to Vin.

"What's that?" Lucas asked, his voice coated in gravel.

"Mail, it seems." Vin replied, walking towards the bed. "It's for you." He handed Lucas the letter, and gently set the very mysteriously shaped package on the bed beside him.

"Can't remember the last time I got a letter-" Lucas flipped the parchment, revealing the wax seal. A seal he knew very well. His breath caught in his throat, wide eyes staring at it.

"What is it?" Vin's brows creased, eyes studying Lucas closely.

Lucas didn't answer, instead quickly popping the seal and unfolding the letter, the parchment rustling loudly in his hands.

Our darling son,

We've settled well here. The mountains of Tellima are quite beautiful. (Though, I must say, I find myself rather homesick as of late.) The sea gave us a few fits on our passage, poor Sarah fell ill rather often. She's now thoroughly sworn off the sea. Frederick, on the other hand, felt rather at home on the waves. He thought he might pick up some sailing work here and there. Your father and I took work at the smithy in town. I miss not having our own, but it'll do for now. Claire has thoroughly enjoyed exploring Tellima. She's even made a few new friends! She asks about you often. I wish I could promise her a visit, she would so love one. And as much as we would all love to see you, I know it's not possible right now. So instead, your father and I have sent along a gift.

If they're anything like you, they'll need it.

With love,

Pop