"That's scary. Is that why you want to write your book?"

"I must try to be one of the people willing to tell the truth. I don't want to stop reporting. That's not my reason for wanting to write a book." He shrugged self-consciously. "I have a worthwhile story to tell. My father's. He died of cancer recently but spent his life making real change for the country as a lawyer."

"I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you'll do his story justice."

"Thank you."

They'd only been acquainted for a few hours, yet Zak shared the most personal things from his life. It made her uncomfortable. Reni tried to steer the conversation to a more neutral topic. "You must cover so many interesting stories."

"That's why I keep reporting. I love to meet people and tell their story or to tell the story of how things should be."

Zak stepped ahead and pulled open the door to a large but unimpressive square gray stone building with numerous small windows.

Reni trailed Shonty and Deloris inside. The chatter of college students on campus for summer classes mingled with bickering, boisterous packs of roving teens attending overnight camps.

An oversized youth with a basketball in one hand and a tray of food in the other almost took her down, but Zak pulled her out of the teen's path.

She scurried sideways to avoid sweat-stained, lacrosse stick carrying boys before taking a moment to watch a group of students in matching t-shirts reading, Do the Math, scratch away at textbook problems with pencils. They occasionally looked up to take bites of food and share insights into the equations they tried to decode.

Reni fell into line behind Zak, amazed at everything happening at New England University. She wondered if it was equally busy during the summer months as when classes started in the fall.

As tall as she was, Reni's gaze hit the middle of Zak's back. His robin-blue shirt clung to broad shoulders. Thoughts turning to him, she was more than a little inspired by his passion and charmed by his charisma and intelligence. Who was she kidding? He was more than a little attractive, and if he'd given her a positive writing critique, he might have been her perfect man.

All her expectations of the writing workshop flew out the door the minute she'd stepped into the classroom or maybe before. If she'd arrived early, didn't feel so rushed and out of sorts, and had been able to pick a seat in class, maybe everything would feel different.

This had to be a reaction to her morning of chaos.

Reni decided to pull it together. She peered at the two large television screens broadcasting the daily menu, which held something for everyone. Vegan curry sat in a warming tray next to chicken with rice and vegetables. Another line held hamburgers, hot dogs, and deli sandwiches.

After picking up a tray, napkin, and silverware, she broke apart from the group and headed toward the pizza. Grabbing two slices and an iced tea, she scanned the large rectangular room for empty chairs.

Zak's broad shoulders were visible in line for the hamburgers and fries. Shonty and Deloris had disappeared into the throng of people. She found them again at a crowded table, where she joined Deloris and the other students from the class.

Conversations drifted like leaves on a lazy river. People introduced themselves, discussed where they had arrived from, and meandered into life stories and works in progress.

After fellow workshoppers left, Reni and Zak remained, talking and joking like old friends until a buzz from Reni's phone startled her back into reality. Her mother had texted a picture of Mush and Miss, who seemed fine without her as they sunned on a window ledge.

"My two babies." She held out her phone.

Zak was startled but then he viewed the picture and realized she'd been discussing the cats. He took his cell phone from his pocket and brought up a picture of a calico feline.

"He used to come into my office building when it rained to get off the streets. One day I decided to take him home. That was four years ago."

Reni's heart melted a little.

Her alarm buzzed her back into reality, surprise in her honey-brown eyes as she checked the time. At home, she'd be starting her afternoon fitness run. "I didn't realize it was so late. We should get going. I still need to settle in."

Zak rose, and she followed. At the rear of the cafeteria, she dumped the few remains of her lunch and put the tray and utensils on the conveyor belt.

"Can we do this again tomorrow?" he asked as they walked outside into the humid air. "I really enjoyed talking with you."

Reni squinted into the bright sunlight, a precipice before her. Something told her this was one of those moments when a decision was much more than what it appeared. She was here to write and work on her book but wanted, without a doubt, to leap with Zak into something that might be defined as more.