𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟗 ✵

* ISAAC GARCIA *
After Genie sent me that text, I felt a bit more relieved. I know I was being a dick by not saying anything before, but standing up for her was a small part of my effort to try and make it up to
her.
The following week, we talked a bit more and she seemed less upset.
It felt like stuff had cleared up a bit, thankfully.

What sucked the most about this whole thing was the fact that we didn't talk as friends like before. She didn't say 'hi' to me in the halls anymore, or offer to stay behind after school to help with classwork. And we couldn't have random long chats about movies and music (even though we didn't have them usually).

・・・・☆・・・・☆ ・・・・

After Genie and I texted for a bit, I went into Lee's room to ask a burning question.

"Can we talk?" I asked, standing at the doorframe.
"Sure," he said.
I sat myself down on his bad, as he was sitting on his desk scrolling through Pinterest on his laptop.

"Do you like Genie?" I blurted out.

It was on my mind since the bonfire.

"What?" he coughed. "No?"
"Oh. Really?" I was genuinely surprised, that wasn't the answer I was expecting to hear.
"Yeah no...I don't, why?"
"You guys just like, hangout a lot," I shrugged.
"We're just friends. But don't get me wrong, she's great. And she actually puts up with me as my mentor."
"Oh yeah," I said blankly.

"She's funny, SUPER caring, and watching movies with her is a shit ton of fun. You wouldn't even know how great she is until you spent time with her.
I know other chicks and cool and stuff but I feel like Genie just...gets it?
Like, sometimes when we talk it feels like we've been close friends for years. She's the type of person to listen to you talk for hours even if she found it boring, but she's also so fun to talk to.
Oh and she's fucking smart! I actually got above 80% in my last science test because of her.

"Yeah, she's great," I repeated.

She truly was.

・・・・☆・・・・☆ ・・・・

For the rest of the week, I turned into some sort of like statue, according to Lee. He thought that something was wrong with me because I wasn't chatting to a swarm of girls or being annoying like usual.
I didn't know why I was super quiet, but I realised that I was focusing on something that I usually didn't. Well, someone.

I was focusing a lot.

During classes, I would look more at her than I did at my work,

I'd pay full attention to whatever she said when she was picked on to answer a question,

And I noticed how effortlessly her hair fell over her shoulders as she wrote.

I started looking for her in the hallways in between classes and during lunch, just because I felt like I needed to see her.
I mean sure, the cheerleaders and the girls near our lunch table still interested me, but I couldn't help myself from trying to find her just so I could get a glimpse.

Fuck, before I knew it, I even started paying attention to what she wore!

Okay, it was getting bad. Really bad.

Well not bad, but weird?

Like why was Genie the only thing I could think about all the time? It's Genie we're talking about! Genevieve Adalee!

But why? I didn't even like her!

It was Lee.

Yep.