Chapter 20 : One Moment In Time

Chapter 20

Paige’s POV

It all happened extremely quickly, one minute we were joking around, and the next; my brother and Ross were on the floor, with two tanks on top of them. The outside light flashed on, and the two men on top of Jake and Ross froze, as if they were waiting for someone to come out of the house, shouting and chasing them away. When no one opened the door, they returned to punching Jake and Ross, but they weren’t doing a very good job, I let out a chuckle, as one of the men howled as he missed Jake’s face, and smacked the tar driveway. I watched, with my arms crossed over my chest, as Jake and Ross struggled to get them off. I decided that it was time to intervene. I looked over my shoulder, where Billy once, and gave him a sharp nod.

We both ran towards the men, and crashed into them. I landed with a thud on the hard ground, and I could feel the bruises forming. I cursed as one of the buffy intruders got the upper hand, as he sat on me, crushing me with his the mass of his weight. I looked up at him. I recognised him, I wasn’t sure how, but I knew that face. He could tell he knew who I was, but that didn’t stop him from pulling his hand back, and catching me in the side of the face, I cursed. I could feel the weight subside, and I grabbed at the opportunity, and jumped up in a flash. I glared at the man who had punched me. I walked towards him slowly.

We were in the shadows, but I could still see his smirk and his white teeth glowing. He was a huge man, but he didn’t look very old. Nineteen, possibly twenty. As the light shimmered on his occasionally, I could see the battle scars on his arms. And then he charged at me. I lifted my knee up just as he collided with me, and he fell to the ground, clutching his stomach. I took the opportunity to kick him, where I had kneed him, and add a few kicks to the face. When I was sure he was unconscious, I stepped away from him; turning my back. I searched around for the other guys and quickly spotted them. They were on the front lawn. The other intruder was on the ground. He was breathing, but he wasn’t moving. I focused on Ross, he was breathing hard, and I could see how red his face was from where I was standing, about ten metres away from him. I could tell that the enemy had gotten a few right hooks in. I walked over to the guys, and I collapsed on the grass.

“This is just the start of something big,” I heard my brother mutter, as he collapsed on the grass beside me. We were soon followed by Billy and Ross, as we all stared up at the sky. You couldn’t see any stars though. All you could see was the dark night, lit up with the orange street lights. That’s what I hated about the City, it hid the stars.

“What are we doing with them? We can’t let you’re mum see them,” I heard Billy ask.

“We’ll tie them up, and make them speak,” I voiced, and they all nodded; agreeing.

We had to get some information out of them. They were from Mark’s gang; I was sure of it. I wanted to know their reason, why they were inspired to attack tonight, and what’s going on back in London. We needed as much information as we could get. The more info we had, the better; we would stand a better chance. At the moment, Mark was one huge step in front of us. He had the men, the equipment, and strong strategies. At the moment, we just had guts.

I groaned as I lifted myself from the ground. My ribs were pretty sore, and my face throbbed a little. But apart from that I was okay. I observed the others guys. They were okay; apart from Ross’ face. He was going to have a few bruises tomorrow; I could already see one forming above his eye. Billy was the best out of us, apart from his torn t-shirt. I could see his well-defined six pack through his t-shirt. Billy had always been a muscly boy, but I wasn’t attracted to him. He was like a brother, and a best friend to me; nothing else. He was always popular with the ladies though. I always disliked going out with him, to nightclubs. Due to the fact he would always ditch me, for a lady. He always liked to share his sex life with me too, something to one wants to know. Jake looked okay too, apart from a bust lip. He was grinned like a maniac, proud of his achievements, and shaking his excitement.