Chapter Nine - Girl On Fire

The girl with the motorbike

Chapter 9

Paige’s POV

“Right kids! Listen up!” Our music teacher shouted, from the front of the large classroom, pulling me out of my music, I looked up, and smiled at her, and she winked back. I shot her a questioning look, but she pretended that she didn’t see it, but she did.

I was sitting Indian style in one of the corners of the classroom, and groaned as I pulled myself up, and grabbed my guitar before it fell to the floor, and wandered back over to my chair, to listen to the teacher.

“Right, we are going to be pairing up! As many of you know, it is time for the talent show!” She shouted excitedly, and I sat there, confused. Talent show? “Oh sorry Paige, I forgot you don’t know. Every year the music department puts on a huge talent show, to raise money for charity. I have decided this year, that each of you get a solo performance, and a duet. I will be putting you into pairs. I know most of you want to succeed in music, and one thing you have to be able to do is compromise. I know most of you are thinking what the hell? And want to show off your own skills, but working with other musicians is part of being a good musician yourself. You will have to work in class, and out of class, and will have to come up with a duet. You can do whatever you want, but it must be suitable, and clean. You all have three weeks,” She finished, “Oh and this year there will also be producers there, in the audience.” As she announced this, I lit up, my head shot up, to listen more deeply. “Some are from Hollywood, some from other states, that are looking for labels, and to sign younger people, so they have been invited. Let the battle begin!” She shouted, and she pulled a hat out from behind her back, which was filled with names on paper. I waited in suspence, to see who I would be pair with.

“Scarlett and Jake, Bell and Brian,” The teacher shouted, and just then, everyone noticed we were being paired up girl and boy, some groaned, and others just simply nodded, not bothered.

As the names were getting called out, my heart beat sped up, and my palms started to sweat, there was only a few students left in the room, including Ross and everyone else had walked off to a private spot, to discuss. I closed my eyes, and breathed deeply, to try and calm down a little, and then the teacher shouted , “Paige and Ross.”

Oh fuck, kill me now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ross’ POV

Oh shit. Did I just hear right? Did the teacher really shout out “Paige and Ross?” I fucking well hoped not.

“Sorry miss, what was that?” I asked her casually.

“You and Paige, Ross,” She said, and winked at me, I shot her a glare and she stuck her tongue out at me playfully, and jogged off, I rolled my eyes. And suddenly an awkward silence swallowed me up, and I glanced over to the other side of the room, and there sat Paige on one of the high seats holding her guitar under her arm, I looked at her face expression. And she looked shocked, and speechless. I walked up to her, and she was still staring into space as I sat down next to her.

I poked her side, and she jumped, and shot me a glare. I chuckled, and I could see that she was struggling to keep a straight face. Suddenly the awkward silence had been lifted, which surprised me. I thought that working with Paige would be extremely awkward, but looks like I think wrong. I turned around on my seat to face her, and she stared at me.

“What are we going to do?” I asked her, and she shrugged. “Great, great help,” I thought to myself, note the sarcasm.

“Well we can both sing, and play the guitar....” She dragged off, and I nodded. “Maybe we can just do a simple duet,” She suggested, and I nodded.

“Yeah, let’s just keep it simple,” I said, and she nodded in agreement. “What song?” I asked.. Even though I had a song I wanted to do, that I knew would be perfect for both of us. She shrugged, and looked down.

“Impossible by Shontelle?” I asked her, and she shook her head.

~_~_~_~

Paige’s POV

I froze, I knew he was going to suggest that song, I just knew it. I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t sing that song, not in front of all those people, the producers. It was my song, my personal song.

When I sung Impossible, it was like – it was like I was telling my life story. MY life story, something I had no intention in sharing with anyone else. I was a scaredy cat- I know. But it was something I couldn’t bring myself to sing in front of a crowd, not without breaking down.

I looked at Ross, who looked speechless and surprised at my bold refusal.

“I can’t sing that song it front of people,” I told him, and his expression softened a little, and he nodded.

“Okay,” He told me, telling me it was fine, but I could see deep down, that he wanted to sing that song. He stood up, and walked away. Leaving me sitting by myself, confused and shocked. I didn’t think that he would walk away from me, no matter how much I pissed him off. I was quite surprised really – that he behaved that way towards me. It wasn’t my fault that I didn’t want to sing that song. It meant too much to me to share with people. I thought that he would understand that. Obviously not. Prick.

Just then, the music teacher walked past, and I came up with a bright idea.

“Miss?” I shouted for her, and she turned around and smiled at me. “Could I sing my own song?” I asked her, and her face lit up, she half jogged over to me, surprised at my question.

“What’s it called?” She asked, I hesitated to tell her anything about it, but I knew I would have to.

“Replaced, it’s about my best friend,” I told her, and she nodded and smiled, and walked off. I grabbed my guitar and set to work on my masterpiece.

The talent show – was the night I was going to perform my knew song, and fuck – I was shitting it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N – Whoo! – New chapter. Enjoy peeps!

So a talent show? Huh.

Duet with Ross?

Chapter Song : Girl on Fire –Alicia Keys

Chapter Teaser : Ross and Paige chapter.  : )

Please comment, read, vote, fan etc etc!

Thank you, Kirsten xoxo

This chapter is decicated to my best friend, KallieSchertz! Thank you for supporting me this year Kallie! You've been great, and you've been a great best friend! <3 

Happy New Year everyone! Thank you for all the support this year, and hope it will carry onto next year! Also best wishes for 2013! <3