10

“Jiaqi, what is your favourite colour?” Xueer asked as they met again in class.

“Black?” Jiaqi answered unsurely.

Xueer looked at Jiaqi expectantly, expecting Jiaqi to ask her the same question.

When that didn't happen, Xueer continued, “My favourite colour is rainbow.” 

“Okay.” Jiaqi nodded. 

“You want to know why?” Xueer turned to look at Jiaqi. 

“...Why?” 

Xueer did not reply and instead winked at Jiaqi.

???

Jiaqi returned her attention to the lecture. 

When the lecture was over, “Later, Library, 5pm?” Xueer suggested. 

“Okay. What's your WeChat?” Jiaqi asked.

“You want my WeChat?” Xueer looked at the ground as she shuffled her feet. 

“Very few people have my WeChat. You should feel lucky.” Xueer said as she took Jiaqi's phone and entered her contact details.

Jiaqi silently stood there and judged Xueer in her mind.

“See you.” Jiaqi waved as she made her way to her next class.

Later, 5pm at the Library.

Where is she? 

Jiaqi double tapped her phone, showing that it was 5 minutes past 5,

which became 10 minutes past 5. 

Jiaqi started to look over her materials and the assignment brief one more time as she waited.

At 15 minutes past 5, Jiaqi brainstormed ideas for the project as she pressed the spacebar, helping the T-Rex to jump over cactuses in the dinosaur game. 

At 20 minutes past 5, Jiaqi heard a voice from behind her.

“So the rumours are false. You can play games. Interesting.”

Whipping her head around, Jiaqi saw that Xueer had arrived. Giving Xueer the cold shoulder, Jiaqi drew her lips into a thin line as she looked back at her computer screen where Game Over was prominently displayed in the centre.

“You are late.” Jiaqi said.  

“Sorry… something came up. Can you forgive me… Babe?” Xueer apologised as she pressed a kiss on the back of Jiaqi's hand, leaving a red lipstick stain.

“Kong Xueer! What are you doing! Kong Xueer??” Shocked, a furious blush made its way to the tip of Jiaqi's ears.

Their table was hidden behind shelves of books so not a lot of people took notice of the commotion.

“Shh, Jiaqi. It's the library, we need to be quiet.” Xueer nonchalantly responded as she took her seat. 

“Xueer??” Jiaqi questioned in a harsh whisper.

“I wanted to test if vermilion red is nicer or crimson red is nicer. Wait.” Xueer took Jiaqi's lipstick stained hand in both of her hands as she examined it from different angles.

“Vermilion red seems ok, now for crimson red.” Xueer magically took out her crimson red lipstick and she started to apply it on her lips.

“Kong Xueer?!” Jiaqi snatched her hand away from Xueer.

“What.” Xueer scrunched her eyebrows as she looked at Jiaqi.

“What do you mean what?? Xueer, I- ” Jiaqi gasped for breath. 

“Jiaqi…” Xueer hesitated, looking from Jiaqi’s hand to her face, as if deciding, before smashing their lips together.

Safe to say, Jiaqi fainted.

When Jiaqi opened her eyes, she felt like she was going to black out again as she met brown eyes watching her at a close distance.

“Xueer??” Jiaqi jumped out of her seat, toppling her chair over.

“Did my beauty startle you that much?”’ Xueer smirked as she watched Jiaqi.

“Why did you do that!” Jiaqi exclaimed.

“Do what?” Puzzled, Xueer returned the chair to its original upright position as she looked at Jiaqi.

“You know… that!” 

“But we agreed on it.” Xueer frowned. 

“A-agreed?” Jiaqi's stood frozen in shock.

“If you don't like it that much, I guess we can programme a vermillion red themed website instead. We still have time. But everyone else seems to be doing a website…or should we make a game?” Xueer trailed off as she patted the chair, signalling Jiaqi to sit.

“What do you mean?? Xueer, you kiss- Huh.” Jiaqi looked at both of their computer screens and realised that it was 9pm from the bottom right of her computer screen.

“Did you forget everything after your nap?” Xueer asked as she placed a hand on Jiaqi's forehead. 

“You don't have a fever…” Xueer observed.

Jiaqi kept her eyes glued to her computer screen as they looked at the program in silence and Jiaqi processed everything that happened.

Remembering that she had met Xueer and started on the project at 5pm sharp, and they had been programming till 9pm, Jiaqi realised that what happened was a dream during her 20 minute power nap.

“You really should get more sleep…” Xueer jutted her bottom lip out and looked at Jiaqi in concern.

“I guess we can end here for today.” Xueer rotated her neck as she cracked her fingers.

“I will get going, I need to dance.” Jiaqi dared not make eye contact with Xueer as she got her things and scurried out of there like a squirrel.