Chapter 16: Zombie-ant Fungus

Kaveh had once called Alhaitham la crême de la crême. The perfect meal. A sweet sedative of blood at his disposal. His blood was sweet like hot honey and it was the only meal he had ever wanted. It was filling and better than anything that could come from his usual blood bags and juice boxes.

Kaveh had also once called him a bastard. A heartless man who only cared for himself. A man that even though his blood was sweet, he was bitter and mean. Arrogant and selfish.

Twice was he wrong. Alhaitham wasn't a bad man, nor was he only a meal. He could be a brute and maybe too blunt from time to time, but there was a heart in there. Even if it only was for Kaveh. Even if it he didn't express it too well. Even if Kaveh was blind to it. He had a heart. A kind one. A loving one.

Kaveh pulled his mouth from Alhaitham's neck, licking up a few extra droplets of blood, watching his saliva start to heal the wound. He playfully kissed the spot before sitting up and looking down at the dazed Alhaitham underneath him. The human reached up and thumbed at Kaveh's neck, pinching it slightly.

"After you feed, your bruises always heal." Alhaitham's observations always intrigued Kaveh. How did he notice everything?

"Well, my power is based off how much blood I consume. The more better quality blood, the stronger I am. My body is self healing, but it takes power and energy. I'm able to slow down the process as to not waste unneeded energy, but when I feed, I'm at my strongest." Kaveh rested his hand over Alhaitham's which was now caressing his neck.

"Do you have other powers?" The human gave him a small head tilt, Kaveh smiling at how adorable he looked. Like a puppy.

"Nothing too special. I think the only thing I haven't told you about is that I can manipulate a small amount of magic. But that's not unique to vampires." Moving Alhaitham's hand to his lips, Kaveh pressed sweet kisses to his knuckles. One question rested in his mind. "You... sure you can handle all of this? This is a whole new world you'll be entering as my partner. It's not gonna be easy."

"If I wasn't sure, I'd have made you wipe my memories already." Another sweet smile rested on Alhaitham's face. A rare view, but a happily invited one.

"That was your last chance to back out. Now you're stuck with me." Kaveh winked and they both chuckled softly. He'd be happily stuck with Alhaitham, as frustrating as he is. "How do you feel? I think I fed a little too much."

"A little lightheaded. I should probably eat or drink something." Kaveh nodded in response, getting out of bed and helping Alhaitham up so they could walk to the kitchenette. He was a little shocked to see Cyno in the small living room on the couch, the chirps of a small animal joining him. He looked over at Cave quickly before looking back down. Kaveh watched as tension grew of the fabric and a little black and green fox appeared on top of the couch.

"I didn't know you guys have a pet. You can keep it in the dorms?" Alhaitham asked questioningly as Kaveh sat him down in the kitchenette.

"That's just Nari." Kaveh couldn't help but laugh as he watched the fennec's ears flatten in frustration. "That's his fennec form. It takes the least amount of energy. He usually takes it when he's tapped out of energy. Did he take another trip yesterday?" Kaveh raised his eyebrow towards Cyno, watching him scratch gently behind Tighnari's ears.

"He had to gather some reagents from the familiar realm. He should be back to normal in a bit. He went yesterday. Honestly, he's usually back by now. I'm starting to think you just like being pet like this," Cyno playfully teased Tighnari. If looks could kill. Tighnari jumped down from the couch, his little feet pitter pattering on the floor before he sat down, looking up at Cyno. Kaveh saw a small glow of light and the shape of a person forming before Tighnari reappeared in his normal form.