Chapter 28

Alex groans as she wakes with the brightness of the sun penetrating her eyelids. She groggily opens her eyes and turns her head to see Kol laying against the headboard reading. "Good morning." Alex says.

Kol closes his book and looks down at Alex with a smile as he says, "Good morning, darling. How are you feeling?"

"I feel good. I feel calm and relaxed."

"That's good, darling. I've noticed that, and I'm glad you're doing better."

"I am. Thank you, Kol, for everything. If it wasn't for you, I might be spiraling right now."

"Of course, darling. You know I'll always be here for you." Alex smiles at his statement, knowing that he is telling her the truth. Kol continues, "So, what would you like to do today, darling?"

"Hmmm...How about we do some exploring?"

"Okay, let's get you some breakfast, then we'll head out." Kol says before he and Alex get up from the bed to prepare themselves for the day.

As Alex and Kol walk around the city, Alex can't help but look around and marvel at its beauty while thinking to herself that this is the first time she's felt this relaxed and happy with someone in such a long time. As they continue to explore, Alex's phone vibrates, alerting her to a phone call. She pulls her phone out of her pocket, but quickly hangs up at the site of the caller ID.

Kol notices and asks, "You're still not going to answer?"

Alex sighs as she shakes her head and replies, "No. I'm just not ready to talk to him. What he did really hurt, you know? And the fact that he did without any consideration for our feelings is just..."

"I understand, darling. Take all the time you need. You don't need to answer him now."

"Thank you, Kol. I don't know what I'd be like if you weren't here."

"I could say the same about you, darling. You're the best part of my life."

>>>>>>

(With Rebekah)

Rebekah smiles as she walks into the Mystic Grill, hoping that Matt will accept her apology for running him off the road and almost killing him. Once she sees him, she immediately walks over to him, placing her apology on the counter next to him: keys to a new truck.

Matt looks at the keys before looking up at Rebekah with indifference and asking, "What's that?"

Rebekah smiles as she says, "The key to your new truck. It's parked outside, paid for, insured, everything but a big red bow."

"If that's your idea of an apology, you should probably give it to Elena. She's the one you killed." Matt says before walking away.

Rebekah's smile falls from her face as she sighs, trying to think of ways to regain Matt's trust.

"You're trying too hard." She hears Klaus say to her.

She turns to face him, slightly surprised to see him there. "Last I heard you were leaving town forever."

"Well, I was, but then I thought to myself how can I when my sister, clearly so desperate for love and affection, is left here bribing the help."

"What do you want, Nik? I thought I was dead to you."

"Things change, Rebekah. I've stumbled upon something I think might be of interest to you."

"I doubt that."

"No? Well, what if I told you The Brotherhood of the Five still existed?"

"What?"

"You see? And like that, bygones. Come on, love. Work to do."