33

"What's goin' on in your head?"

"What'chu mean?"

"You got your thinkin' face on."

It was true. Her brow had the slightest furrow while she stared into space with a clenched jaw.

She relaxed, cracking a tiny smile as she looked over at him.

The sunlight didn't beam in, but its soft glow through white curtains illuminated Sage's face in a way that made his butterscotch skin and milk chocolate eyes look absolutely delectable.

She wondered how she'd gotten lucky enough to experience the dream that manifested into his flesh.

"You think you know me or somethin'?" she teased.

He chortled while stretching his arm toward her. "Yeah," he tickled her neck, a spot only he knew would make her squeal.

A sharp gasp and a soft slap of his hand made him chuckle.

She playfully rolled her eyes and bit back a smile. He rolled over, head resting on his arms as he lay on his stomach.

"But nah, for real, what's up?" He asked.

"I don't wanna blow your mood."

"Wakin' up to you, my mood could never be blown," he'd always admired the richness of her umber skin. Sometimes, he'd touch her just to make sure she was real.

He thought she was a dream in her own right.

She contemplated what to divulge; where would she even start?

She stalled, "You not gon' tell me good morning first? You wanna jump right to the—"

"You ain't tell me good morning," he smiled.

"I thought you were still 'sleep."

"Yeah, but then I felt too far away from you. Had to wake up and see where you was at."

"Oh, brother," her feigned annoyance was undercut by her growing grin.

He reached for her, arm stretched across her waist and hand cupping her side as he shortened the distance between them.

"You could've just asked me to scoot over. You ain't have to slide me over like some luggage."

He laughed a little, his smile half-hidden by the sheets and pillows now bunched between them.

"I'm sorry. Good morning. How'd you sleep?"

"It was alright."

"Yeah?"

"Mmhm. What about you?"

"Man, I slept good as hell."

"I can tell," she teased at the fact that his eyes were fluttering closed as they spoke.

"Finna go back for seconds, you want anything?" He joked with a lazy smile.

"Yeah."

"Yeah? What'chu want?"

She wiggled in closer, eliminating the fluff between them so she could fully claim his warmth as her own.

He adjusted accordingly, arms enveloping her as she laid her head on the clouds inked on his chest.

"You good?" He asked once she settled.

"Yeah."

"A'ight... and you feelin' okay? Like, physically?"

She nodded out of habit, not giving it much thought.

"And mentally? Emotionally?" He prompted.

She pondered it, trying to find the words to characterize her current state of emotions.