28

Melody had heard every rumor conceivable about Kenrō. That he ran off. He owed money. He stole money. He was dead.

She kept her mind busy, swatting off such nonsense.

Rather than worry, she poured into the family business like never before. Besides, with so many artists having been scammed because of the showcases, Bloodstone was in a unique position.

Local talent was their bread and butter. What better way to capitalize on the momentum of all these artists primed for performing with nowhere to perform than to open their doors?

It was Melody's brainchild, and it was hard work figuring out just how to deliver it to the world— at least to Mason. But hard work and long hours were just the things she needed to keep her mind away from Ken and her optimism up.

She missed him more everyday, and when she finally had an opening for rest, she cried herself to sleep.

She wished she'd been more open, more straightforward, with her feelings for Kenrō. Every chance he gave her to put an end to their stupid game became immortalized in her growing feeling of regret. When she finally allowed her walls to fall, he left the remains to settle.

And every day, it got harder to tell whether he'd return to see the ruin.

But she couldn't dwell. There was business to handle and artists to wrangle. She was able to get a hold of everyone except Sage, who hadn't returned her call all day.

But Sage had more on his mind than performing.

He pulled up to his childhood home, parking and pondering whether he could truly turn to his father at a moment like this.

He'd just gotten his heart broken, yet again, but this time was unlike any other. After all, Darcy-Ann was unlike any other woman he'd been with. But the involvement of a baby greatly complicated what should've been a clean break.

A clean break that he evidently had no say in, but at least he would've been able to move on with the intent to never see her again. A pregnancy did anything but ensure that.

And if she got rid of it, then what? Would they carry on as if this experience still doesn't bind them in life? As if Darcy still wouldn't be the one who was almost the mother of his child?

He sighed deeply.

He couldn't talk to his father about this. Any time there was an attempt at a conversation with even an inkling of emotional depth, it always ended with surface-leveled analysis and resolution.

He wanted to give him an opportunity to surprise him, to subvert what was expected of him.

But Sage wasn't in the mood to be let down and lectured.

So, he went to the only other place he thought he could.

All the while, Darcy-Ann was finally gaining some footing out of her own darkness. So much was unresolved with Sage, but as she took a breather, it was time to pull herself out of her rut.

She picked up an extra shift at Graham's. It was Sunday morning, which meant slow store traffic and plenty of time to catch up on anything she'd missed in her time away.

It felt good. Making use of her time, having other things to worry about. Placing her mind away from the disarray all her relationships were in... That is until Eric clocked in.

There was evident tension, especially with Darcy not saying more than three words to him at a time. It wouldn't be until lunch that an actual conversation would be had, and when it was, a resignation letter came with it.