You want me to what!?!?!?

The Next Day...

"We could have used your help yesterday, y'know?" Hachiman said as we both walked to school together. I gave him a mere shrug.

"I didn't see a reason to. It was Yuigahama's request and I'm not part of the club, so what was the point of sticking around?"

"Still, it would have been better if you were there. Yukinoshita and Yuigahama had a little bake off, and I know for sure you would have smoked them"

"You just wanted me there so you could eat my cookies, didn't you?" I lightly punched his shoulder as we approached the school grounds. To my surprise, Hiratsuka-sensei was by the entrance, smoking a cigarette and looking like she was waiting for someone. Unfortunately, that person was me.

"L/N, Hikigaya, good morning." She greeted me and Hachiman. Hachiman and I both bowed in response.

"Good morning Hiratsuka-sensei, is there something you need?" I asked.

"Actually, yes. A private matter between you and me." Hachiman understood the cue and decided to head to class with several minutes to spare before the bell would ring.

"Am I in trouble?"

"What? No, far from it. Besides, you're definitely not like Hikigaya."

"Tsk tsk sensei, it's unbecoming of a teacher to insult their own student" I joked, but she remained unamused.

"There's something I must ask, and I apologize if I am being rather blunt and upfront. Other than Hikigaya, do you have any other friends?" Huh? What kind of teacher would ask about my friends? Well to be honest, at this point it should be recognized that Hiratsuka-sensei is not just a teacher. If anything, she's become like a mother figure for both Hachiman and I, always giving us some life advice or just striking up casual conversations before or after classes. In short, Hachiman and I are quite close to her.

"Well, there's you I guess."

"Excluding me, obviously." she took another puff.

"Well if not the two of you, then I guess the answer is no. I don't have any other friends."

"Really? I'm surprised. If that's the case, that must mean you're on the same boat as Yukinoshita huh? Pretty looks, but kinda lonely."

"Hey! Don't compare me to her! That's an insult to me! Besides, you're not married!" Oops. I let that last part slip. She then glared at me with evil intentions. If this was a video game, there would be some sort of countdown until something dangerous happens!

"Repeat that last part again, L/N Y/N." She growled menacingly. I flailed my hands in self defense, desperate to try and shift the conversation in a different path, one that doesn't involve her driving a fist into my abdomen!

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I didn't mean it! It won't happen again!" She then scoffed and returned to a neutral expression.

"So I guess that means you don't really have any extracurriculars then?"

"If walking Hachiman home and talking to you aren't extracurriculars, then no I do not." Upon answering, a sinister smile was formed upon Hiratsuka-sensei's mouth. I do not like where this is going.

"Well then, this is perfect. L/N, have you heard of something called the Service Club here?" Oh god. I should have known. But I didn't do anything wrong! She forced Hachiman to join because of his essay, but why does she want me to join!? I'm not a troublemaker like Hachiman! Whatever, I'll hear her out for now.

"Actually, yes I have. In fact, I went in to make a request"

"Really? Did you find them helpful?"

"Haha... no. Yukinoshita denied it. Rudely, if I may add."

"Surely she must have had a reason."

"Even so, she's rather mean, y'know? Always finding an opportunity to throw Hachiman under the bus, and she's always talking to me like she's annoyed with me."

"That's Yukinoshita alright." She took one last puff, "L/N, I'm going to be frank with you. In my class, I've noticed that you only ever communicate with Hikigaya. Sure you say good morning to some of the other students and you occasionally help some of them, but that's about it. My duty here is to not only teach, but to also help students build more and stronger relationships. The one you have with Hikigaya is perfect, but outside of that who else can you talk to? I have had this conversation with Hikigaya, and for the sake of your future it's best to build on your communication and relationship building skills. Eventually, there will come a time where you and Hikigaya would go your separate ways and if you lack the communication skills, you won't be successful. I took it upon myself to sign you up for the Service Club as a means to help expand your skillset, and even put a better use to your altruistic tendencies. It's a perfect club for loners like yourself." There it is. She can be quite brash, and although she's my favourite teacher I have to hate her for how she always takes initiatives of other students lives.

"Oh come on, Hiratsuka-sensei! I didn't do anything wrong! Don't make me a member! I don't wanna stay after school!" She then took a moment to ponder over her next words.

"Ok, tell you what. Try and see how the week goes. I'll be lenient with you because this was rather unfair admittedly on my part. If you still refuse to be a member after this week, then I'll revoke your membership. How does that sound?" Well, that's much better and surprisingly very flexible of Hiratsuka-sensei. I still don't approve of having to actually go and participate in club activities for a week, but at least she'll give me the option to treat this as a trial run. I nodded my head.

"I guess that's fine. I'll see how it goes." She then gave me a smile.

"Good. Besides, I'm sure Hikigaya would appreciate you there. Being around friends raises morality and thus performance." Just then, the school bell went off signalling the start of classes. "That sounds like it's time for us to get to work. Let's get to the classroom L/N, I'm sure you'll appreciate the lessons I'll be giving today in class."