Chapter 11: Moving On

Start from the beginning

They turned to Grace with a wild glare.

Mrs. Njoku’s lips fell wide open as she gasped. Her bushy brows frowned as she thought about it for a second.

Tears shimmered in Grace's eyes. She gawked in disbelief and stared in horror.

“No, Vikky. What are you saying?” Her voice panicked.

“After she bought me this teddy and yogurt, she called someone and told me to wait for her.” Victoria seemed sure and scared at the same time. Her eyes felt comfort in her mum’s arms, but she wondered the reason for the chaos. “Why are we here, mummy? I’m tired and hungry. Let’s go home.”

“Vicky, when did I ever take you out?” Grace flared, unable to hold back the pain. “I gave you classwork before leaving the class, remember? You don’t make such jokes on your teacher, Vikky!”

“Did you hear that? She even has the guts to lie to our faces and call my daughter a liar! Oh, it was you they sent to take my daughter’s life! You witch!” Mrs Ebok stormed to her and whizzed a dirty slap across her face. The hairs on her arm trickled as a sense of menace took over her. Grace covered her face and held back the tears. Instead, the pain filled her heart and choked her throat. Grace shook with sobs, turning away to breathe. Not to leave Mrs Njoku behind, Grace squeezed her eyes shut and held onto her head.

The police officer pulled her back while Mrs. Njoku defended Grace.

“Grace would never do such, ma,” the principal begged, pulling Grace behind to avoid more beatings. “There’s a misunderstanding somewhere, so calm down. Please, calm down.”

“How can I calm down? Tell me. I haven’t even started!” Mrs. Ebok wailed. “It must be her who kidnapped my daughter within the school hours! There’s no misunderstanding. Victoria is a child. She would never lie!”

“Let’s have a proper talk, madam. There is no point in harassing her like this. Take it easy.” The Police officer intervened.

“I bet you have not married, let alone given birth! Do you know how difficult it is to raise a child?” Mrs. Ebok threw her arms out, her index finger darting in Grace's direction. “I swear, I will deal with you my way. You're in for a surprise because this is just the beginning!” Unable to contain her emotions, Victoria's mother held onto her daughter and wept.

“Let’s go home, Grace.” the principal faced her. “It’s been a long day. You need some rest.”

With draggy feet, they walked out of the police station.

Susanne, who watched from a distance, in her expensive jeep, read the expression on her twin sister’s face. Although, she was still a stranger undercover. She wanted to know who Grace was. That evening, Ada visited Grace at the apartment, and she came to pick up her remaining luggage. The house rent was usually paid by Grace and Ada, but it elapsed 6 months ago. They couldn't pay and the landlord harassed them now and then. The girls agreed to pack out before the end of that month. Grace, who was still upset explained everything to Ada, but something was strange about the incident. Ada couldn’t wrap her hand around it. Somehow, she imagined that she was covering up because she couldn't make sense of it.

The school terrace had the facet of sunrise because the admin block faced eastward. The pavement outside, in the state of plane trees, was cool. A few dead leaves dropped from the branches and writhed on the school pavement, stirred by the gentle wind.

A couple of morning birds chirped and whistled behind the office window at the admin block. Mrs. Njoku invited Grace to her office before the commencement of the school assembly that morning. Grace, timid, with a heart full of apology, braced into the seat opposite the principal.