Chapter 12: Infiltrate

Dante's pov:

I'd been in the throne room multiple times before this, but this time was different. It's the only time I've felt troubled by its extravagant decor. King Dolent had a permanent scowl across his face. His eyes were like dark stained glass, beautiful but hiding what was inside.

My restraints felt unusually tight under his gaze. The cold iron cut into my skin, leaving red scrapes around my wrists, ankles, biceps, and waist. Hédiart took my jacket, leaving my arms vulnerable to his forces. My struggling made it worse. Eventually, half the brigade had to hold me in place. Tedwin Hédiart slammed a couple punches before tiring and shoving a gag in my mouth. "Pathetic, couldn't even break a rib." I thought as I was brought into the throne room.

The floor was cold and rough. The weak bas*ered said I wasn't worthy to stand before the King. Bullsh*t. I lifted my head to meet his gaze, to hide my unease. Stare fear head on. He didn't like that either, grabbing a handful of my hair and slamming me on the stone. I laughed a muffled laugh; he still could only inflict small injuries. His hand tensed, and he hurled me down again.

...................................... Okay, that one...............was decent.

Thick blood dripped out of my nose and mouth, waterlogging the gag. Hédiart looked down at me with a sick grin on his face. He lifted my head again, but was ordered to stop. I looked up at the King; he was scowling at that idiotic bas*erd now. Hédiart released my hair. Frustrated, I stood up in defiance. The world slowly spined and my vision darkened, but I intrenched my feet, adjusting my center of gravity, and glared at Hédiart. Our eyes met for only a moment, but he stepped back in dread. Pathetic son of a bi*ch.

"Dante," the King's voice boomed over the room. "You're here under suspicion of collaboration with the Red Dragon Society. What do you claim?"

Hédiart removed the gag. They waited for me to stop coughing. Blood spilled on the stone floor.

"I think you have no idea what you're f*cking talking about. I did nothing."

SMACK

I would've fallen over if that slap wasn't so weak. "Don't talk like that to the King." Hédiart barked. I sneered and barked back, "Maybe if I wasn't being condemned for this sh*t, I'd take more time to be polite."

"You impertinent, disrespectful child, just wait until-"

"Enough." The King thundered at us. Hédiart stared at his expensive leather shoes in shame. "Sorry, your majesty."

I turned my attention to the King. "I'm intrigued to know why you accuse me of such dreadful things." Emphasizing every single word, merely to piss off Hédiart. It worked, but he held his tongue.

"Silvestre has been murdered by the Society and his conclusions about you have been stolen. We have her detained at the moment, but she claims innocence. I do not wish to believe in your involvement. Reia was very ardent about your marriage to Y/N. But our inferences call us to believe in your part in the conspiracy."

"I don't understand." I felt my left eye start to twitch. "Why would you think that?"

"Our main reason is your reluctance to disclose the location of the hideout. You have also never addressed how you came to that information, your rise in power, or your intention with y/n."

"My intentions are honorable, I assure you. I want nothing but the best for my future wife."

He tapped his fingers impatiently, "But why do you want to marry her? To claim the throne for Forelsket? Or perhaps the Society?"

I shut my eyes in an attempt to stop the nervous twitch. "Sir, I love your daughter. She's so kind and humble. Her voice is like an angel's. She's not like anyone I've ever met before. The fire in her eyes fills me with so much warmth every time I see her. A friend of mine told me that I'd know my soulmate as soon as I met them, and I've never been so certain of anything in my life."