Chapter 1: Generations

"Are you done yet?" said Y/N impatiently.

"Haha, someone is excited! Be patient, your majesty; there is still plenty of time."

Y/N looked at her handmaiden, Malison, and sighed. Malison was exceptionally beautiful, with fiery red hair tied up in a tight bun. Though she was very young for the average handmaiden, Y/N loved her company and sweet personality. Y/N stared as her pale hands glided through Y/N's h/c hair, creating an elaborate braided bun. Still looking dull compared to the simple, natural beauty of Malison.

"Is all this necessary? The make-up, fancy dress, and elaborate hair feels like too much. I'm just visiting the orphanage, like I do every month."

Malison chuckles, "You're the Princess of Epibreren; you have to hold up your image. Plus, Lord Alexandre will be joining you."

"Oh, please," you thought. She'd known Lord Alexandre ever since they were kids. Admittedly, she had developed quite a crush on him in her teenage years. She loved the way his curly, brown hair fell perfectly over his forehead. His perfect tan skin, warm brown eyes, and even the small earring on his left ear drove her crazy. Almost everything about him seemed too good to be true.

"No, stop it!" y/n thought as her face heated up, "Ugh, you're definitely over him. You will not be like every other desperate high class woman. Just because he's very handsome and charming does not mean he's the one. You don't even like hi-."

Frowning Malison puts a comforting hand on Y/N's shoulder. "Are you alright, your highness?"

"Yes, quite fine! Have you heard anything about recent affairs?" Words quickly flew as y/n tried to change the subject. "I noticed you read local papers on your breaks."

Her face lights up as she beams a wide smile. It's different from the ones she's used to; it's more real, less perfect, yet just as beautiful. Y/N blew a gasp of relief. "Keep it in; no one needs to know." She thought.

"Recently, I heard that the Clovis lineage has had a recent shift in power. The poor queen of Forelsket is finally at peace. She had a very difficult reign. The kingdom was in shambles when her husband died. The family was very vulnerable, which led to many unfortunate incidents, riots, invasions, battles, piracy, starvation, and so on. The king had attempted to expand but was clearly unsuccessful, creating lots of enemies. Your parents were even involved in the whole affair, exploiting quite a lot from the peace agreements. Queen Emeline managed to reassemble the kingdom. She was really incredible, establishing trade routes, increasing morale, and making allies; most notably, she really excelled at diplomatic compromise. She turned Forelsket from a small, ransacked town into a thriving kingdom. What a shame her legacy didn't end there."

"What do you mean, Malison?"

"On her deathbed, she begged her son not to follow the path of his father and create conflict. She was such a kind woman; the Lord knows how her son turned out so violent. While there is no doubt he loves his mother, King Dante has been contradicting her final wish on a mass scale. Surprisingly, he achieved what his father couldn't: expansion. Sardina and Basoa are the most notable; the siege only lasted two weeks. Such powerful empires have gone so fast."

"Is he a threat to us? Forelsket is only a day or so away."

"He seems to be mostly targeting the eastern empires. But don't worry, your majesty; an invasion on Epibreren is near impossible. That would bring too many of our allies into the war. Not enough reward for such a high risk." Malison smiled as she put the last pin in the princess's h/c hair.

"I must admit I was surprised at your sudden interest in the happenings of the world. I would certainly like to see your mother put a bit of thought into it."

"Malison! Please be careful. She doesn't take well to insults."

The handmaiden laughed and said, "You're such a sweetheart. You know, I'd say that from my limited time here, I've noticed a large distinction between the generations. Despite looking very similar to your father, you're nothing like the King or Queen."

Y/N looked at herself in the mirror. It was true; she saw traces of her father. Yes, she had the h/c and e/c that have been in the family for generations, but she felt like an alien around them. Physically and mentally, no matter what she does, she'll never be like them. She'll never feel at home in this suffocating castle.

"Well, you look absolutely darling, your highness."

"Thank you; I'm ready for some fresh air."

A/N: Wow, the first chapter is done! I've honestly been thinking about writing a book for a while now, and I can't believe it's finally happening! I'll try to update as frequent as possible. 

Thanks for reading and supporting me!