⋆ ★poa ⟿ moony, [censored], padfoot and prongs★⋆

Start from the beginning

His rage was almost uncontainable, but before Harry could do anything, a flash of orange streaked past him. Crookshanks settled on Black's chest, right over his heart. 

"Get off," Black murmured, trying to push the cat off him. 

But the cat didn't budge. It sank it's claws into Black's ripped, dirty robes. 

Hermione gave a dry sob from Harry's right, hugging onto Y/N and Ron tightly. 

His grip tightened on his wand. Okay, so what the cat was there. So what he had to kill Crookshanks, too? He was in league with Black and if Black wanted to keep the cat alive, that meant he cared more for Crookshanks than he did for Harry's parents.  

Harry raised his wand. The moment was right. The moment was now.

Y/N grabbed his wrist, "Harry, no," she said firmly. "Look, I'm all for laughing in the face of danger...but not right now. It'll end really badly." 

Everyone fell silent, the seconds lengthened, Harry standing there frozen. 

Then, came a new sound. 

Muffled footsteps were heard downstairs...someone was here. 

"UP HERE!" Hermione screamed. "WE'RE UP HERE! PLEASE - SIRIUS BLACK - HELP!" 

Harry should do it, he had to do it. 

The footsteps thundered up the stairs - Harry still hadn't done it. 

The door burst open in a shower of red sparks. All their wands went flying once more, into the hands of-

Professor Lupin? 

"Dad?!" Y/N said, shocked. 

Harry stood there, feeling suddenly empty. He hadn't done it. His nerve had failed him, he had failed his parents. 

Black would be handed to the Dementors.

Then, Lupin spoke, his voice holding suppressed emotion. "Where is he, Sirius?" 

"Dad?" Y/N said again, voice weak and confused. "Why are you calling him that?" 

It was almost as though her uncle didn't hear her. He strode past her and looked to Sirius, who simply jerked his head at a now-sitting Ron.

"But then..." Lupin said. "Why hasn't he shown himself until now?" he asked, staring intently at Ron. "Unless..." 

Nobody else, but Black, apparently, knew what he was talking about. 

The quartet traded glances and Harry saw Y/N. She looked confused, she looked angry. 

"Unless...he was the one...unless you two switched without telling me...?" Lupin trailed off. 

Very slowly, without taking his gaze off of Lupin, Black nodded. 

"Professor Lupin?" Harry asked. "What's happening?" 

Lupin didn't answer. 

"Dad?" Y/N tried. "Dad, please, what's going on?" she said desperately. 

Again, there was no answer. Instead, Lupin walked over to Black and held out a hand. The quartet collectively gasped when Black took it. 

"What are you doing?" Y/N demanded weakly. "Dad...please...what are you doing?" 

Once more, no answer. 

Lupin gripped Black's hand tight and pulled him to his feet, Crookshanks falling off Black's chest. 

Once Black was upright, Harry noticed that he was significantly shorter than Lupin. He looked up into the Professor's face, then suddenly, Lupin pulled Black into an embrace.