Chapter 69

It was so painfully silent

It was so painfully silent. Like any and every word you said could be used as a fire to set off a bomb.

"So what really happened?" He didn't even bother to look at you as he kept driving.

You took your time. You wanted to be as careful as you possibly could with your words. But in simple terms, you were afraid.

"It was a misunderstanding.. I was just messing with some friends." You kept your eyes averted. You already knew he wouldn't believe anything you said from here on out. It really didn't matter whether you lied or not.

He gave a low hum, taking his time to straighten out the tie on his suit before clearing his throat.

"Who was that girl?" He said abruptly.

For the first time since you got in the car you turned to look at him, almost alarmingly.

"What girl?" You asked.

The ends of his mouth grew as he felt your stare burn into him.

He couldn't have possibly been talking about Zoe. She was gone before he even entered the building, right? Who else could he be referring to?

"She had auburn hair with bangs and big dark eyes with pale skin..." He recalled as if it had enamoured him. His eyes were curving downward as his mouth did the opposite.

You did your best. You really tried to control your expressions at the moment. As hard as it was, you kept smiling as you looked him directly in his devilish eyes.

"I don't know who you're talking about." You said simply.

"Really?" He said as if he was surprised. "She had your school uniform..."

You simply shrugged your shoulders and gave him a confused look. That's not a very specific description. He could be talking about anyone, so you don't know why you felt a chill go down your spine, or sweat build up in your palms.

He couldn't possibly be talking about Mira.

You did your best to rationalize this. To ignore it.

"Oh well." He sighed.

Before you knew it the car had already stopped, and you had arrived at your apartment building.

This day in particular was just so strange to you. Like the feeling of deja vu but not quite it.

You didn't like it, not one bit. As the man whose blood you shared drove away in his car, leaving you to yourself for the day, you couldn't help but tense up.

Like you were preparing yourself for something, more mentally than physically.

And as soon as the car was no longer in sight you made your way inside, making sure to lock the door twice for reassurance. Not like it mattered since he had his very own key.

You pulled out your phone and dialed the first number that came to mind, the one that had been whirling around in your brain since your conversation.

And not before long did she answer the phone.

"Mira, where are you?" You almost hesitated.

You heard a low hum from the other line.

"I'm on my way home, why, is something wrong?" She sounded confused, but answered anyway.

You felt your mind come to ease a little bit. Only a little bit.

"It's nothing, I'm just really bored." You laughed it off.

She laughed too. She seemed to be in a really good mood.

"Oh yeah, and I've been meaning to ask you something." She said suddenly.

You didn't think much of it, easily giving her the go ahead.

"Why didn't you tell me your dad was in town?" She said presumably with a smile.

You practically froze in place. Your luck just kept running out didn't it?

"Uhh.. what do you mean Mira?" You awkwardly dragged out.

"While you were in the counselors office I met a man, he said he was your dad." She said it with joy in her voice, like she had met an angel in men's clothing.

If you were to deny it, there was no way you would be able to keep it that way. And you weren't able to bring yourself to embrace it. It's one thing to admit it, but another to even act like you like it.

On the other hand you could even warn her. Mira is not an idiot, but even she might be blinded considering how her first impression already is.

But with everything that happened at the retreat there was no way she would blindly accept a warm smile.

But even with all that in mind it's not like she exactly met a stranger, this was her friend's father. A man who she's already heard a lot of good things about.

"[Y/n]?" She called out, put off from your sudden silence.

You were forced to put your attention back towards your phone.

"Sorry about that, he can just be embarrassing at times." You tried to brush the topic off.

"Embarrassing?" She asked.

"Yeah, sometimes he says strange things, so don't believe everything he told you." You tried to play it off as some small joke, hoping she'd get the hint.

She didn't seem to mind, like she understood, just not really in the way you were hoping.

"Yeah, parents can do that sometimes." she laughed as she said it.

---------------

Started: February 3rd, 2024
Finished: February 10th, 2024

Not like I was rlly a fan of his, but I can never look at drake the same again.

Also, been lacking on chapters this week but I'll pick it back up come the 18th promise ;)

Would you like to continue?