Chapter 38: How to Rely on Your Older Siblings

I wait a few seconds to see if Natsume will actually send another message. Chats can glitch and make it seem like another message is on its way when it's not. 

I can't think of anything else Natsume would say to me, though. Now that I've found a place we don't have a need to talk to each other anymore. However, this doesn't bother me, considering that we don't know each other. 

The screen changes.

N: [image.png]

"A picture?" I click on the picture and it comes into view. "Wait, is he serious???"

I clutch my phone and stare intensely at the screen. 

The most adorable felines of white and ginger are nestled on a level of a cat tower. Both are sleeping, their eyes squeezed shut. One has a tail wrapped around itself with its paws tucked underneath. The other lays sprawled out on its back, its paws reaching toward the camera. 

N: You wanted to see the cats, right?

Aw, he remembered.

A smile blooms on my face. He didn't have to, but he remembered all the way from our first meeting. I can see how the cat towel really suits them. 

M: Kawaii! Those are your cats? They're adorable 

M: ^⇀ﻌ↼^ฅ

I cringe a little at my word choice, but oh well. Why hold back when something absolutely amazing appears in front of you?

In any case, Natsume doesn't seem to be weirded out. 

N: The one on the right left is Tsubaki and the other is Azusa.

M: LOL

M: Thanks for showing me. They're so cute!

Though I still wonder how they got their names in the first place. 

N: [image2.png]

"Hmn?" What's the second image about? I open it and can't help but laugh. 

The ginger cat towel is laid out on the floor with both cats piled on top of it. The light hits Tsubaki at just the right angle as he drapes over Azusa from above. Once again, both are fast asleep.

M: I see you put it to good use

N: Yeah. They like it a lot. Thanks

My finger hovers over the keyboard. I should say something back, but I'm not sure what. Would it be weird to continue the conversation about cats? Natsume has a pair of them, yes, but I don't know if he's the kind of person who would talk endlessly about them. He might even find me weird for going on about them for longer.

In the end, I go with the safer option.

M: I'm glad they like it! /ᐠ - ˕ -マ

M: Wish I could meet them

Seeing the time, I lock my screen and go to get ready for bed. 

I stand and stretch my back a little when I realize it. 

Pausing, I open my phone's chat again. I couldn't have done it, could I?

My breath catches as I read my last text. 

Wish I could meet them

It's not the worst thing I could have said, but it's basically me saying that I want to come over and see them. 

The phone slips from my hand and clatters on the ground. I kick my feet in anguish and bury my face in my hands. With a groan, I curse that my subconscious love of cats caused me to ask to meet up with a man I barely know.