Chapter 11: Orenji

I turn to see a man with bright orange hair. The tips stop just short of his eyes, which are a stunning violet. They remind me of Tsubaki's eyes, but they're more subtle. 

Also similar to the twins, this person has a beauty mark, though his is below his lower lip on his chin. If I remember correctly, Tsubaki had one under his left eye, and Azusa under his right.

That can't be a coincidence, can it?

I shake my head. No way. I guess I just haven't met my doppelgänger yet.

"I must apologize," he says. "I wasn't paying attention."

Well, neither was I.

"Do you like cats, too?" I ask. Better not to get into an apologizing battle or we'll be here all night.

He stares like he's unsure of how to explain it. 

"It's not that I don't like them..." He glances at the nyanko towel. "It's just that it reminded me of my cats."

I feel my eyes widen. "You've got cats?" As in, "cats" with an "s"? 

"Ginger cats are the cutest!" I gush. "Theres a couple at my workplace who look like that. They've got the softest white bellies and paws. I find that the orange ones are always really plump and food-motivated, though."

I pause and panic.

I hope he doesn't think I'm commenting on all the orange haired.

To my relief, he chuckles. It's a deep, mellow sound that puts me at ease.

"My cats are definitely more on the chubby side."

"In that case, here." I pull the towel off the shelf and hand it to him. "For your kitties."

"Oh, no it's fine, you take it." He pushes the towel back. "You were here first, and I shouldn't spoil my cats too much."

"Eh? It's okay to treat your cats, and yourself. I think it matches your hair nicely."

He brushes part of his bangs self-consciously. "Does it?"

"A little." Not going to lie, I wasn't sure how I felt about orange-redheads, but on him it works. 

"I can always find another one," I say. I grab a grey towel set off one of the lower shelves. "This one's more in my budget range, anyway."

He presses his lips into a tight line. He might be frowning, but it might also be his thinking face.

"In that case–"

He's interrupted when my phone suddenly rings. We jump, startled by the vibrations.

The caller ID reads EMA. She and Yusuke must be done their shipping–I mean, shopping.

"Ah, sorry about that. I have to take this. Take the nyanko towel for your cats!" 

"...Hai."

Before he can say more I turn away and answer the call. 

"Moshi moshi?"

"Yo, where are you?"

"Yusuke-kun? Why do you have Ema's phone?"

Behind me I hear the orange-haired man startle.

"Ah, Ema-san is trying to figure out which brand of seaweed to buy, but she said to give you a call. We're almost done. Are you?"

"Un. I've only got one more thing. Meet you guys at the front?"

"Sounds good. Oi, Ema-san, abunai!!"

I hear a crash.

"Ano... Is everything okay?"