Chapter 35: No Aid Made in Vain

Now that I've told Ema about my plans I keep a keen watch on my inbox, waiting for the fateful email that will determine where I will live. 

In the meantime, school and work continue. There's no shortage of readings to skim or projects to research. I busy myself in my free time trying to get ahead on some more topics before the middle of term. 

Work goes well in the few shifts I manage to squeeze in on weekends and weekday evenings. Some nights I come home a little later than usual to the point where Ukyo requests that I let him know when I plan to be late.

"So I know to save you a portion or not," is his reasoning. I have a feeling that he'd also like to know when to expect my help in the kitchen. We exchange contact info so I can directly tell him instead of us texting through Ema. 

Wataru takes note of this and asks for my number as well. I initially reject him, as I'm not sure how I feel about having the contact info of a middle schooler, but Wataru insists that since I'm Ema's friend, I'm his friend, too.

"Besides, you've lived here for long enough that we're friends now," he points out. "It'd also be fun to talk more about hair dyeing and gaming."

I can see his point there, so I relent, but under the condition that we don't make a big deal of this to the other Asahinas. I don't want Tsubaki to start teasing me about it or demanding my contact information as well. 

"Tsukkun would definitely do that," Wataru agrees with a laugh. "It'll be a secret. You've got my word as a man."

You're not even thirteen yet. Slow down, kid!

But I smile and give him the pinky promise, anyway. He'll be all grown up soon, so it's best to let him be a kid despite his desire to grow up quickly. 

Our trio gaming continues, and three days after I've told Ema about my plans I finally get a response from the landlord. 

I practically fly over to my phone and open the notification. Before me lies the response to my inquiry. 

"Thank goodness," I murmur, reading over the contents. Once I've skimmed the email twice I text Ema, asking to meet me in the living room. 

Ema, who's been studying in her room, comes out. She carries her phone and has an anticipating expression. 

"So? What did he say?" she asks. 

We sit on the couch together and I show her the email. Her eyes widen and she smiles. 

"Congratulations, Mai-chan! I'm so happy for you." She clasps her hands together in excitement. 

"Arigatou. I'm glad I was able to find a place before exams. It'd be a pain to have to move while taking them." I shudder just thinking about it. 

Ema laughs. "The move in date is next week, so you've still got a little time before you have to go. I can help you with any preparations you need, but still, I'm going to miss you. It was nice having another girl around, you know?"

I give her a sympathetic glance. Even Julii is a male, meaning once I leave Ema will be back to living with a bunch of boys. I'd place more trust in Yusuke and Louis not help her out, and maybe Ukyo, but still. 

"Thanks, I appreciate it," I say. "I'll start packing tomorrow and make a list of anything else I'll need. Good thing I didn't unpack everything I rescued from my old place." By this I mean things like cleaning supplies and kitchen gear, which I haven't needed since the Asahinas have graciously let me use theirs. 

Having a firm date when I can move in feels great. There's no longer any pressure that I'll be kicked out for overstaying, and I can rest assured that I'll be able to move into my new place without further issue.