Chapter Forty Four

Start from the beginning

"You think so?" I ask twirling around making the material of the dress float around me.

I knew I wanted a pink theme and might have been a little bit too optimistic about how easy it would be to find a pink dress but after hours of shopping and mother's cynicism I think we've found it.

"Yes, it's gorgeous." She praises.

"What do you think Astrid?"

My sister gets up and walks towards me. "I think you look amazing and will definitely be the belle of the prom." She answers.

I turn to the mirror with a big smile on my face. The dress we have chosen is long A-line square neck, lace-tulle dress with a side slit.

"I like it as well." I declare.

"Good, then take it off and we'll pay for it and have it bagged. We still have shoes, hair, nails and make up to sort out." Mother decrees.

"Yes mother." I nod stepping away from the mirror to get back into the dressing room.

As I am getting changed my phone rings and I excitedly pick it up when I see that it's Isaiah calling me. "Hi baby."

"Berry, did you buy your dress yet?" He inquires sounding a bit anxious.

"Yes I did and not to toot my own horn but once you see it you are going to swallow your tongue." I reply.

He sighs heavily which makes me worry because that's not the reaction I was expecting from him. "I was hoping you wouldn't say that."

"Huh?"

"Berry I have some bad news." He says and my heart drops.

Please God, not again.

The accident was weeks ago and Isaiah is back to his full health but part of me will always worry about him. He is doing much better now, he quit work at The Mayfair, is going to therapy and working on fixing his insomnia. It was worrying there for a while but he is doing good and I am very proud of him.

"What bad news?" I ask looking at my dress.

"There is no better way to say this ... Prom's been cancelled." He informs me.

My initial reaction is to burst out laughing. I laugh so hard I have to sit down before I topple over.

"Don't mess with me Carter, you are wearing that tux, there's no getting out of this. Did Wes put you up to this?" I ask knowing how the two have been hanging out a lot lately.

"I'm serious Berry." Isaiah insists and the tone in his voice lets me know how serious he is so I sober up and my smile fades.

"You are?"

"Yes." He insists and proceeds to tell me everything.

By the time I walk out of the changing room five minutes later, dress clutched in hand, my mood is already down the drain. I was really looking forward to prom and now we can't go anymore.

"What's wrong darling?" Mother asks picking up on my mood change.

"Prom has been cancelled." I mumble sadly.

"What? Why?" Astrid exclaims.

"A couple of seniors tried to pull off a prank that went wrong. They ended up flooding the whole school including the gymnasium where prom was supposed to be. No venue means no prom." I reply sadly.

"I'm so sorry Kenny." Astrid apologizes hugging me.

"It's okay, I'm just bummed Isaiah didn't get to see me in my dress tonight." I mumble.