Chapter Forty Three

ISAIAH

For someone who has spent more than a decade in survival mode like I have, never slowing down or taking a break, a week in the hospital feels like a death sentence. I'm going stir crazy just sitting here missing out on school, work and volunteering. I miss my friends, my family and even though they visit a lot, it's still not the same. Not to mention the pitiful looks they all keep giving me coupled with the sympathetic words that keep me rubbing off all wrong. Yes, I was in a car accident but I lived so their behavior like I'm on my deathbed is uncalled for.

Here comes another one. I think to myself when I hear the doors to my hospital room slide open. I stay still waiting to hear who has come to pile onto the already somber mood that I am in.

"Iz." The melodic voice of my girl calls out making me smile.

Now there's one person I don't mind coming to visit.

"In the bathroom, I'll be out in a minute." I reply.

I finish up and get off the toilet seat wincing when I feel a sharp pain in my head.

As I'm washing my hands I catch a glimpse of my reflection on the mirror and it makes sense why people keep looking at me the way they are. I look horrible and the gauze around my head from where I had brain surgery isn't flattering either. My dark skin is hiding most of my bruises but they are there and I am feeling each and every one of them.

Unable to stand the sight of my sorry self any longer, I adjust my hospital gown before limping out of the bathroom dragging my IV stand with me. Kennedy is standing in the middle of the room waiting for me looking as beautiful as ever.

"Berry."

She perks up and bridges the gap between us. "Hi baby."

That pet name will never stop getting to me, making me feel all warm inside. My free arm goes around her waist and pulls her close. She loops her hands around my neck and stands on her tiptoes to kiss me. I kiss her back, having missed her all day long.

"Should you be walking around on your own?" She asks when we pull apart.

"Please don't start." I groan.

"Sorry." She giggles.

She knows how I get when people start fussing over me, especially her.

"I missed you, how was school today?" I inquire.

I never thought I would miss school until I've had to spend a week in bed while my friends go on about their daily lives without me.

"Boring without you there." She replies caressing my nape.

I haven't washed my hair in a week so it's all tangled and messy. Not to mention I have a bald spot since they had to shave part of my hair for the surgery. Kennedy is still obsessed with it though so I have that going for me.

"I know you're just saying that to make me feel better." I groan.

"No I'm not, it's just not the same without my favorite person." She confesses managing to make me smile.

"Likewise, I seriously need to get out of here. I am so bored, I'm about to start eating my own hair." I lament.

I've never been one to sit around so this whole week has been torture for me. Parker had me put in a private room as soon as I left the ICU, it's the most comfortable I could be given I am in a hospital but it still sucks. All I want to do is leave and go back to my normal life but the doctors keep turning down my request to be discharged. It doesn't seem fair to me because I feel fine, even with all the bumps and bruises which I am managing perfectly if you ask me.