Chapter Eleven

KENNEDY

Pine View High School. Week Two.

I didn't think I'd make it more than three days so this is definitely an achievement. It's better than week one because I have more friends, I know where all my classes are and I have my whole schedule memorized.

I miss Oakland, so much, but this is my new reality and I am slowly coming to accept it.

For the fifth period on Tuesday, I have study hall so I use this time to complete my assignments in the library so I'll be free once I leave school.

Yesterday I had my first shift without Isaiah at Frosty Dream. I missed having him around but it was good learning how to work without constantly needing his help. We also had 'the friend' conversation when he helped me with my locker again which is great. We both agreed to let bygones be bygones and work on being friends. I like that. A lot.

"I like your tote bag." A female voice comments standing by my side.

I was so engrossed in my work and thoughts, I didn't notice her approach. I look up to find a gorgeous dark skinned girl with purple braids and round stylish glasses smiling at me. The tote bag she is referring to is hung up on the back of the chair I'm seated on.

"Thank you. I prefer them to regular backpacks. Less zippers." I reply with a smile.

"Me too but yours has a lot of nice art as compared to my bland one." She compliments showing me her plain black tote bag.

I haven't had anyone approach me and actually be nice so this is a welcome surprise. "I did that myself."

"That's so cool, I can barely draw stick figures. I'm Kristie by the way." She introduces.

"Kennedy."

"I know."

"Of course you do."

Everyone in this damn school knows who I am and I am slowly coming to accept that fact.

"May I sit with you?" She requests.

"Of course."

I pull my books closer to me to make space for her to work on. I should be more skeptical but Kristie looks like a really nice girl plus I like the fact that our first names start with the same initial.

"Are you a senior?" I ask her.

"Yes, we actually share a few classes. You're taking all AP classes right?"

"Yes, sorry I haven't noticed you before. I'm usually trying to keep my head down which is hard to do when I stick out like a sore thumb." I apologize.

"It's okay. I'm sorry about everyone being so mean. You're a puzzle they can't solve so they dance around you and make assumptions to fill in the gaps." Kristie explains.

"What's your theory?" I inquire.

I'm curious as to what she thinks about me. Her response will determine whether or not we can actually be friends.

"None of my business. You're a student just like the rest of us, here for an education. I don't care about your past as long as it doesn't affect me. I just thought I should come and say hello." She replies.

"Kristie, I think you've just become my new favorite person in this school." I declare smiling at her.

She is such a fresh breath of air. Don't get me wrong, I like the boys, they are great to hang out with but all they talk about is girls, parties and basketball. It'll be nice to talk about something else for a change with someone of the same gender who isn't my sister or a faculty member.