Chapter Thirty Seven

KENNEDY

"Are you close?" Isaiah's excited voice chimes through the loudspeaker in my car making me smile.

"Iz you asked me that two minutes ago." I chuckle.

"I know I'm just excited. So, are you close?" He repeats.

"Yes the GPS says that I'm five minutes away." I answer.

"Perfect." He cheers, happiness evident in his tone.

Ever since Isaiah and I hit a bump in our relationship from when he lied to me about his mom being the senator he has been acting clingier than usual. I think our argument took its toll on our relationship and now he is behaving like I will dump him over the slightest thing. He has been buying me flowers every single day accompanied with some thoughtful gifts which is all very sweet but I wish he knew that we are good and he does not need to make it up to me anymore.

Our disagreement took its toll on me as well and I hated every moment of it that's why I chose to forgive him without dragging it out. He also looked really sorry and I could not take the kicked puppy look on his face any longer. Plus realized that I am doing the same thing to our friends that Isaiah did to me so I could not be mad at him for too long as that would make me a hypocrite. My only hope is that when I tell my friends about who Kennedy Jane Foster really is they will take it much better than I did when I found out who Isaiah's mother is.

"Are you here yet?" Isaiah asks again.

"Iz!" I scold playfully.

This boy will be the end of me.

"Are you here yet?" He repeats anxiously.

"Actually yes! I'm at the gate." I reply when I pull up to the heavily guarded gates.

"Yes! She's here!" He screams followed by a lot of yelling that forces me to take him off loudspeaker.

I give my name to the guard at the gate and after he confirms I am on the guest list, the gates slide open and I drive on. The Carter compound is much more modern than ours is and more than ever I feel ashamed for thinking that Isaiah was poor as I drive up to the main house. I love how it's built so close to the river because the views are magnificent. It looks like a modern country house. I wish we didn't live in the middle of Manhattan but then I recall how close we are to Starbucks and that thought leaves my mind immediately.

"Is that princess?" Wesley's voice asks on the phone making me realize that I did not hang up.

"Yes." Isaiah replies and that's when the call ends.

There are a lot of cars parked in the driveway leading up to the house so I park mine at the closest spot I can find that isn't so far from the house. I check my make up in the rearview mirror to make sure that it's still perfect and when I like what I see I exit the car after grabbing my phone and keys.

I unlock the trunk to get Cairo's gift and a couple of more things that I brought. I'm bent over grabbing everything when two familiar arms wrap themselves around my waist and lift me off the ground. I laugh as I lean into Isaiah's chest. He sets me down a second later and turns me around kissing me before I get a moment to catch my breath.

His tongue tastes like sour candy which explains part of his energetic self today because it seems like Wesley is not the only one who will be riding a sugar rush. My work will be cut out for me dealing with the two but I am already used to it.

"I missed you." Isaiah confesses our lips a whisper apart.

"You saw me last night at work." I remind him.