Chapter Seventeen

KENNEDY

Being back at school after a long weekend surprisingly enough doesn't feel as daunting as it should. I've missed my friends, my classes especially AP Studio Art with Miss Sandy and I am also very excited to give Wesley his gift.

For once my locker behaves and I'm able to open it without a mental breakdown. I still haven't gotten around to decorating it but I will as soon as I have an idea of what I want to do. Oakland had a strict no graffiti or unsanctioned posters policy which included the inside of our lockers. I didn't know that Pine View is different until Isaiah suggested I should consider decorating mine

Speaking of Isaiah. He likes me! I'd kind of suspected it but hearing it directly from him still surprised me. The parade was fun and we ended up going all the way to Brooklyn so instead of an hour we were gone for three. I had so much fun and ate enough cotton candy and street food to make anyone who's not a foodie like me sick.

Cove kept giving us weird looks and smiles when we got back and I still have no idea what they were about. All I know is that Isaiah and I talked and agreed that even though we like each other dating isn't the right move. Being friends will be hard because of my huge crush on him but it was my suggestion so I have to stick to my word.

I was honored when he asked me out but to be honest dating him right now will be lying to him and myself. There are parts of my life I am not ready to share yet and being in a relationship means being vulnerable which I cannot afford as per now. Isaiah is also too busy to have room for a girlfriend so friends it is.

"Kennedy!" A familiar voice calls out making me stop in the middle of the hallway.

Everyone around me turns to give me strange looks when they see Miss June headed my way. This woman is trying to ruin me. She's always popping out of nowhere. Students already treat me weirdly enough without people seeing me talking to the guidance counselor all the time. They must think I have behavioral issues or something and need to be constantly monitored.

I step aside to let people pass as I wait for Miss June to catch up. The staring and pointing fingers has reduced but it's still early in the morning so what do I know. Maybe talk of my stand off with Jade has spread and now they will all stay away from me and mind their own business. A girl can hope.

"There you are." Miss June smiles when she finally gets to me.

"Good morning Miss June." I greet politely even though I wish this meeting was taking place in her office.

I wonder what she wants to talk about today?

"Good morning Kennedy. How was your long weekend?" She asks.

"It was okay." I answer with a shrug.

"Oh, what did you get up to?"

"Work mostly."

"That's nice. So nothing out of the ordinary happened?" She insists narrowing her eyes at me as if fishing for information.

Nothing happened that would be of interest to the guidance counselor so I shake my head no.

"Well a little birdie told me that you and Jade, the cheerleading captain had an incident at Wesley's party." She comments.

My eyes widen in shock.

How does she know about that?

I open my mouth to deny it but the look of surety on her face lets me know that she is aware of the whole story and I should not bother.

"Who snitched?" I demand.

Seriously who goes around giving someone like Miss June such information?