Chapter Twenty Nine

KENNEDY

"Jingle bells, jingle bells

Jingle all the way

Oh, what fun it is to ride

In a one-horse open sleigh,

Hey!" I sing to myself as I skip down the stairs in a happy mood.

That carol has been stuck in my head since the beginning of December because it's all Wesley has been singing. Now even when he is not around I still find myself singing or humming the cursed song.

"Good morning Glynn." I greet him waltzing into the kitchen.

I perch myself on one of the seats kicking my legs like a kid in the candy store.

"Good morning Miss Foster. You're in a good mood this morning." He comments with a kind smile.

"That I am. It's officially one week before Christmas." I declare.

"That it is. What do you want for breakfast this morning?" He asks.

"A little bit of everything. I need all my energy today." I answer.

"A little bit of everything coming right up." He replies making me smile appreciatively.

I retrieve my phone to keep me busy whilst Glynn makes breakfast still humming that blasted carol over and over again. A message pops up on the group chat and its from Isaiah reminding everyone of what we are doing today. I reply affirming my attendance and so does everyone else.

I'm excited about today because it's the Christmas party at the homeless shelter. We decided to do it today because most of us will get busy as of next week. School will be closed for winter break and some of us will be traveling for the holidays. Astrid and I will be spending Christmas together, as for my parents I have no idea where they are and I honestly don't care. We haven't celebrated Christmas as a family in years. Our house isn't even decorated because we never celebrate. They don't even get us gifts but Astrid and I do get a pretty hefty amount of money from them which to me is okay. I've already used up all of mine anyway. Speaking of ...

"Glynn did you get what I asked delivered?" I ask recalling the favor I asked of him two days ago.

"Yes miss, it was delivered yesterday together with everything else." He answers.

"Perfect, thank you." I reply.

"My pleasure miss."

Five minutes later he pushes a plate full of my favourite breakfast foods towards me together with a cup of coffee and a glass of orange juice.

"Thank you Glynn." I smile digging in immediately.

"Enjoy."

I am just about done with breakfast when I hear the front door open and close followed by a sound I know too well. The familiar clicking of my mom's stilettos and my dad's deep baritone. My mood deflates because they have chosen the worst possible time to come home. I have no idea why they are here considering they spend Christmas in some Ski resort.

I hear them asking for me and Glynn directs them to the kitchen. The backdoor is too far away for me to escape in time so I stay glued to my seat.

"Jane!" Mother exclaims excitedly when they walk into the kitchen.

I plaster on a fake smile and get up from my seat to hug them both.

"Dad, mom what are you doing here?" I ask pulling away to put my now empty plate in the sink.