Chapter 11

Azula shot waves of azure flames around her creating a blazing cyclone for a complex fire bending display within the training dojo of the fire nation royal palace. Ozai, the current fire lord, watched on from his seat at the far end of the dojo with a servant providing him tea with her instructors Lo and Li sitting by his side. It was rare that her father would spare time to sit and observe her training, meaning he was curious to see how much she has improved since the last time he saw her.

It had been a year since Zuko's banishment and all eyes were on her to become the fire nation's future. She needed to be perfect, needed to surpass the incredibly high standards her father expected of her. Zuko was no longer around to soak up her father's ire and she would be damned if she took on that role.

She summersaulted through the air bringing down a flaming dropkick that completed the kata in a dazzling display of strength and agility.

The sound of a slow clap echoed throughout the dojo as Ozai raised from his seat, his mouth curved in a subtle smile of pride.

"Excellent Azula. Just excellent." He praised, "A remarkable display of the crane Phoenix form."

"An incredibly advanced form." the croaky voice of Lo said.

"One that many fail to master." Li followed.

"Mastered in only three attempts by the princess." Both croans said in unison.

She knelt to him accepting his praise, "Thank you father. It wasn't as difficult as I imagined it being."

"Spoken like a true prodigy." His words were filled with pride.

Her smirk grew wider at his praise and he returned to his seat.

"Now, show me the roaring fire ferret form."

Her smile quickly dropped. The roaring fire ferret was a less advanced form than the crane Phoenix but still quite advanced that focused on low leg sweeps and ended on a triple flaming wheel kick, the latter part of the technique being something she struggled to perform no matter how many times she attempted it.

"Such a low level form, father. I wouldn't think you'd be interested in seeing that." she hoped to redirect his interest into a different form.

"Yes, low level for you but still quite advanced, yet I've never seen you perform it. Surely you wouldn't have trouble doing so?" He said with a raised brow expecting to see it.

Her twin masters remained silent, having no words knowing just how difficult it was for Azula to perform.

Azula swallowed hard, "Of course not father." She rose up from her knees knowing full well that she had to perform it. No one tells the fire lord no.

She took the stance and began the kata throwing quick low kicks sending waves of flames like quick strikes from a prowling fire ferret. She sent several blasts upward from a low stance followed with a leg sweep all the while Ozai watched keeping an analytical eye on each and every movement.

She performed another sweeping kick finishing the main portion of the technique and now must perform the dreaded triple fire wheel as the roar of the fire ferret. She ran to build up momentum before leaping and flipping through the air as fire trailed behind her feet turning her into a smoldering wheel and sent a fireball towards the farthest wall and now must stick the landing.

She planted her feet on the floor hoping that she could finally catch herself, however the momentum of the attack sent her tumbling on her stomach.

Ozai's expression tightened and the room went silent, the only sound being Azula's heavy breathing as she recovered.