Chapter 17

"Well, the first thing you need to know is that this isn't a quick fix. You both need to be committed for this to work." Melanie said.

Liam had called first thing the next morning. She agreed to see them that day only because Eva threatened suicide. It was the day before Christmas Eve and she was hoping to go home early, but instead, she took them for her last appointment.

"We are." Liam assured her. "We both want this, right?" Eva nodded.

"Okay, first, Liam you explained to me on the phone that Eva feels as if she killed the baby, right?" Liam nodded. "Okay, let's get that out of the way right now. I know you don't want to hear this, but you had nothing to do with it. I'm going to be completely honest you. At your sixteen week checkup, they'd have given you a "triple test" to check for problems like your baby had. It would have been discovered that the baby was trisomy 13 and you'd be advised to terminate the pregnancy. You didn't kill your baby. He never had a chance. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's the complete truth. My job is to make you believe that."

Eva nodded.

"Liam, you told me some other things on the phone that I know you want to deal with. Can you tell Eva about some of them?"

Liam took a deep breath. She was going to be mad as hell, but he couldn't hold it in anymore. "I think my biggest problem right now is that Evie has no self-esteem at all. It's been our main problem since the day we met. She feels like she not...I don't know....worthy? of being loved? That's the best way I can say it. She always assumes the worst outcome. I don't know how to make her believe me anymore. If she doesn't love herself, how can she love me?"

"You think I don't love you? Because I think I'm crap?"

"Right there. Why do you say things like that? You are NOT crap." Liam yelled.

"I am crap. My own MOTHER doesn't even love me. How can anyone love you, if your own mother doesn't?"

"Okay." Melanie said. "Let's stop for a second. Deep breath. Yelling doesn't ever help. Let's talk about your mother. Why do you think she doesn't love you?"

"She doesn't love anyone, Eva. She doesn't even love herself. I've only been around her a few times and I can tell you, she hates herself. That's why she wraps "Gwendolyn Stewart, CFO" around her like a damn shield." Liam told her.

"Well, being adopted made her feel..."

"Don't defend her. She had great parents. She has everything anyone could want. But, she's dead inside and I don't want the happen to you. Like your father said, she chased Andrew away. He was smart. Left and never came back."

"Let's hear from Eva." Melanie said. "What has she done that makes you feel like she doesn't love you?"

"Hmmm...well, it's not anything she DOES. I guess it's more what she doesn't do? She's never home. She never hugs. Even as a little girl, I remember being told not to hug her or I'd wrinkle her skirt. She didn't talk to us. I always tell people this, because at the time, I thought it was funny, but now I see how sad it was. When I had my first period? I was like 14? She gave me a box of pads and a book. When I complained about them? She took me to her doctor for a birth control shot that made them lighter. It's like she didn't want to deal with me. I explained everything to Lex. I told her not to even bother with mom."

"Okay, I see." Melanie stated. "This gives us a place to start. We need you to have self-esteem or you will never truly believe that Liam loves you or that this miscarriage wasn't your fault. Let's try something. Tell me one thing you like about yourself."

Eva thought for a long time. Liam even sighed and offered to give her hints. Finally she said, "My eyes are pretty color."

"Great! Okay, another thing! Go!" Melanie said.