Chapter 9

Classes started and Eva felt happy to have some normality in her life. She had an English class with Dylan and both Marian and Dylan were in her math class. They got into the pattern of Eva driving to Dylan's and Dylan driving them to school. They also found the math class difficult. Why she had to take MATH for an ENGLISH LITERATURE degree was beyond her. Often times, the girls would study together, alternating whose turn it was to "host" the study session.

"Okay, I'm done." Eva yawned. "I need to get home before a fall asleep right here."

"It's not even dark, Eva! Just one more." Dylan pleaded.

"No, Liam is going to call soon, I want to be home. Sorry!" Eva drove back to Liam's flat, got ready for bed and waited for Liam to call. She snuggled down into the blankets, thinking how comfortable they were and was asleep in seconds. She didn't even hear the phone ring minutes later.

Liam: Where are you?

Liam: I called.

Liam: Hello?

Eva woke the next morning, shocked. She didn't even remember falling asleep.

Eva: I fell asleep. I'm so sorry. I didn't even hear the phone ring.

She didn't bother to wait for a response. It was the middle of the night in Texas. She was pretty sure that's where he was. She lost track. Eva jumped out of bed to take a shower and immediately felt dizzy. She sat back down until the feeling past. Last thing she needed right now was to get sick. Liam would be home in a week. She didn't want anything slowing her down.

She picked up Dylan and they barely made it English. They found seats near the back of the lecture hall and waited for the professor to start class. Dylan was on a new diet, she insisted she needed to cleanse her system, and had brought a seaweed looking drink that she shook up. "Okay, wish me luck. I'm going for one drink. I can do this. One big drink and it's over." Dylan popped the top off and a smell that can only be described as rotten seafood left in the sun for a week, came out of the bottle. Eva's stomach turned and she made a mad dash for the bathroom.

"Eva?" Dylan called, looking under stalls. "Eva, you've been gone 10 minutes. It wasn't THAT bad. Come out." Dylan found her sitting on the floor in the last stall. She was sweating and her eye makeup had run onto her cheeks. "Are you crying? What's wrong?"

"I'm nauseous. I'm tired. I felt dizzy this morning. And I just realized something. I think I might be..." Eva cried.

"You can't be. Stop. You get the shot. You told me it lasts a year!" Dylan said, trying to be practical. "You've come to the wrong conclusion. You are just sick!"

"That's not what I realized. I have been getting the shot since I was 15 because it make my periods much easier to deal with. I've gone every June since I was 15."

"Okay. Then you aren't...."

"What month is it Dylan?" Eva asked.

"Uh...October."

"And where was I in June?"

Dylan went pale. "Touring Europe. You weren't home for the summer. Please tell me you are kidding!"

"I wish I was. I've been having sex with Liam, without birth control for 4 months. How could I been so stupid!" Eva started to bawl, messy, dirty crying, snot running down her nose.

"Just. Just. Wait. We don't KNOW anything. You could be fine. Maybe you are over thinking this. Wait here." Dylan left and returned moments later with their bags. "Let's go."

Dylan drove to the nearest store and Eva ran inside. She picked up the first pregnancy test she could find. She laughed when she saw it was a bonus three pack. It must be for people who WANTED to get pregnant. They went to Liam's and Dylan sat on the bed, reading directions. "Okay, you just pee on it. And wait. A + means positive. That's easy. "

Eva took a huge breath and went into the bathroom. Three minutes later, she walked out of the bathroom and grabbed the second test. Three minutes after that, she walked out the grab the third. "Stop, Eva. Stop! What did it say?" Dylan pleaded.

"It says yes. They both said yes. BUT! I have one more chance! Maybe this one with be no." Eva collapsed on the bed and cried. "I have just ruined my entire life. I have just ruined Liam's entire life. I am so STUPID. What have I done? It's not that hard to remember to get a shot. People don't just forget these things."

"Stop, Eva." Dylan said. "It happens all the time. I'm an oops baby. I'm fine."

"Your parents are divorced."

"Okay, not the best example. But you don't have to have the baby. There are other choices." Dylan said.

"I couldn't. I won't" Eva sighed. "I just...."

"You need to see a doctor. Call the clinic. In the meantime, don't think about it. Okay? We can figure this out."

The clinic made her an appointment for three days later. It was the soonest they could take a nonemergency. She made Dylan stay with her until then and she pretended everything was normal when Liam called.

Liam: 2 days baby! I cannot wait to see you!

Eva: Me, either.

"Eva Stuart?" the nurse called. Eva grabbed Dylan's hand and made her come with her into the exam room. First, they made her pee in a cup. She already knew how that was going to come back. The nurse walked in with a clipboard. "Well, you are indeed pregnant, Ms. Stuart, but the doctor will want to do an internal exam anyhow. I just need to ask you a few questions so we can give you a due date. First day of last period?"

"Uh...Aug 20. Right after the Detroit concert." Evan answered.

"Okay, so, you would have been fertile between the 28 and the 30. That makes you about 6 weeks along. May 15 is when we can expect that baby."

Eva laughed. Aug 29. Liam's birthday. How completely perfect. She got pregnant in Chicago. They had been together three times that day. She dropped her head into her hands.

"I take it this is an unplanned pregnancy?" the nurse said. Eva nodded. "Well, you have many options. Let's talk, okay?"

Eva didn't hear a word she said. She didn't remember the doctor coming in. She didn't remember making an appointment for two weeks later. All she could think was "Liam will hate me. Liam will hate me." over and over. This wasn't a little mistake. This was a life changing event.