Ch. 19: Fragments

I watched the man's expression twist as Ben called him Ifrit. I waited for recognition to sink in- but he showed no sign of it, only looking conflicted.

"I... think I... recognize the name." He said slowly, his head tilting. Ben's face screwed up slightly. He seemed frustrated, and I could see why.

"Maybe he doesn't remember because of the time loops." I whispered to Ben, not sure what he was supposed to be remembering. This was my best guess though, so I figured I should offer it.

We seemed to be closing in on the goal we'd promised Slender, after all. We were one step closer to figuring out what was going in this game! And even beyond that... although I knew I really shouldn't care, I couldn't help but be glad that Ben seemed to be getting something out of this too.

By the time I returned from my thoughts, the man Ben called Ifrit had invited us into his home and sat us down. Ben and I sat on one end of the table, with Ifrit at the other.

"... So." Ben said slowly, his gaze rising from the table to meet Ifrit's. "You really don't remember me?"

"I wouldn't go that far." He replied. "It would be easier to say... it's as though I met you in a dream."

"More like a nightmare." Ben murmured, sitting up straight and staring Ifrit right in the eyes, a smile on his face. I had the creeping feeling he wasn't happy at all though- it almost felt like an intimidation method in itself.

"Are there any more of the Moon Children?" Ben asked so casually.

"Yes. My sister-" Ifrit replied immediately, then blinked and looked confused. "Who are the Moon Children?"

I couldn't read Ben's expression, but he stood up very quickly, grabbing my sleeve and tugging me up as well.

"Thanks." He said, still all smiles. "We've got much to do. I'll be seeing you soon, alright?"

"Right." Ifrit agreed, then paused and stood up as well. "You... are Ben, right? You can just call me Matt from now on."

Ben blinked a few times- and I was just as surprised. Was this not the Ifrit guy Ben was talking about? It wasn't long before Ben's surprise reformed into another smile, and he nodded to Matt.

"Yes, of course."

He pulled me out of the house not long after, almost rushing down the street to the owl statue.

"What's going on?" I asked quietly. "Was that not Ifrit?" The question made Ben scowl, and he narrowed his eyes. I could practically feel the red-hot annoyance emanating off him.

"Oh, it was definitely Ifrit. And he's brought Rosa with him."

I stared at Ben, more confused than anything else. I didn't have any idea who this Rosa was- I was still trying to get my head around Ifrit. And I had no idea who the Moon Children were, either! I was just feeling around in the dark here, forced to look for answers I didn't understand.

Ben must have noticed how perplexed I was, because he sighed, pulling me close and whispering in my ear. I went absolutely rigid. The closeness was so nerve wracking after what he'd done before. But I didn't feel like I was in danger this time- it was strange.

"I'll explain when we get out of here."

My ears flicked, the tips of them feeling red hot. I couldn't quiet the nervous hammer of my heart. Was I still that scared of him?

~~~

Once we had returned from the game, Ben was... more tight-lipped than I was expecting him to be. He paced back and forth, brows tightly furrowed as he murmured to himself. Was he planning to explain anything at all? I couldn't be sure. Not when he seemed so preoccupied by his own mind.