Ch. 18: Nerves

~~~

[Y/N]
> [BEN]

~~~

It was baffling.

It was humiliating.

I watched [Y/N] get ready to go, watching him talk to Tatl so casually despite the situation they were in. He acted like he was going on holiday by going into the game- didn't he realize his life was in danger? If we failed to get results for Slender, I wasn't sure what was going to happen.

Nothing good, I imagine.

And even if we did succeed, at what cost? What did he want?

A shocking chill ran down my spine and I frowned, wiping my eyes and crossing my arms stiffly, sinking into my thoughts until I was abruptly pulled out of them. [Y/N] was trying to get my attention.

"... Ready. I'm ready to go. Ben?"

Not wanting to show how stuck in my mind I'd been, I cracked a grin at [Y/N] and raised my brows. "Eager, are we?"

A sour look came over his face as soon as I said that, as if he was struggling to decide how he was meant to react. I watched his shoulders slump slightly as he must have realized there was no good option, and my grin widened. Regardless of the difficult situation he'd put me in, prodding at this guy was fun.

"... How do we get into the game." He asked me bluntly, his eyes narrowing with concentration. "Can I do the... thing, you do?"

"The thing?" I asked, thinking for a moment before realizing what he meant. "Going through the screen? No. That takes practice." I said bluntly. It had taken me years to master the skill, after all- but I had been at a severe disadvantage, having started out stuck in the game. I thought it was only natural [Y/N] would have an easier time with it, with my guidance.

"Then- how do I-" He stopped speaking and tried to figure it out, looking between the screen and me with the oddest look of concern on his face. It was oddly cute. I stifled a chuckle and held out my hand.

*"We'll have to hold hands." I said, and though I was teasing him, it was true. This was the safest way to bring him in. The way he reacted, shivering and glaring, was another perk though. It was almost cute how he tried to show defiance, even when there was nothing he could do to harm me right now.

He held on tight to my hand soon enough, and I squeezed my grip a little tighter. He felt real when nothing else did, and god it was frustrating not to know why.

"And, Tatl." I said, looking up to her. She fluttered so adorably in response, landing on [Y/N]'s shoulder. "You should hide in [Y/N]'s hat or clothes."

"Right-" She replied, faltering and then hiding herself away inside [Y/N]'s tunic. I was only noticing now, but he'd put his warm clothes back on over his ordinary tunic. I gently brushed a thumb against his sleeve, raising a brow at him.

"It's cold." He defended himself, shooting a sharp glare at me for a moment. It'd almost hurt if I didn't think it was funny how he defended every action so intensely.

"...? Just hurry up and take us in." He said, and I realized I'd been staring at his face, observing his reactions. I cleared my throat and nodded, holding on tighter to his hand as I stepped into the screen.

Something that was so simple for me was far from it for him- I could feel him struggling against me. I wondered if he didn't believe that he could pass through the glass, or if he just disliked me that much. Not that I was hung up on something so trivial.

I gave his arm a firmer tug and he came stumbling through, gasping and looking around with wide eyes.

"Are we in-??"