Something To Believe In (Final Scene)

PART NINE -SUN MOON STARS RAIN-"SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN"

INT. THEATRE - ONSTAGE - EVENING

A coffee cup is sitting on a table. A woman's right hand reaches down to pick it up.

MAGGIE'S VOICE (O.C.) Can I get you anything?

The Lead Actor and Actress are seated at the table. The Lead Actor looks up from the table, smiles and stops Maggie from taking his cup. Maggie smiles a broad grin.

INT. THEATRE - LARGE, SHARED DRESSING ROOM - EVENING

The Cast and Crew are coming and going, happy and celebrating. Maggie is seated in front of a mirror. A large bouquet of roses sits next to her. Jesse comes in the dressing room and just behind him Rosie bursts through the door. Maggie stands and smiles and Rosie gives her a big hug. Jesse stands by and kisses her on the cheek.

ROSIE: Ahh, honey you were wonderful!

MAGGIE:(humbly)It was just one line. Thank you.

JESSE:And she got the lead in the next production!

ROSIE: Did you now? Ohhh!

Rosie gives Maggie another big hug. Jesse gives her a hug.

MAGGIE:(giggles)

Rosie holds her close and says in her ear...

ROSIE:Thank you...for everything.

EXT. IN FRONT OF THE THEATRE - NIGHT

Maggie walks out the door, her roses in her arms. She looks straight ahead and gets a huge smile on her face. Then covers her mouth. She is obviously overwhelmed.

DEREK: (O.C.) Can I get you anything?

Derek is standing behind the Street Vendor's cart. A makeshift hand painted sign above his head reads "LEMONADE". He holds up a dollar bill between his fingers...

DEREK:(playfully soliciting) I'm buying.

Maggie smiles broadly and hastens her step to him as he steps out from behind the cart and hugs him. Her left hand closes around his neck and reveals a diamond ring. The Street Vendor steps in behind the cart. Maggie releases Derek after a big kiss and Derek turns to the Street Vendor and indiscriminately hands him a one hundred dollar bill.

DEREK:(to the Vendor, very sincere) Thank you. And Merry Christmas.

The Street Vendor smiles a big grin. Maggie and Derek walk slowly down the street arm-in-arm. A limo pulls up alongside of them and they stop walking. The window goes down to reveal a smiling Eleanor.

ELEANOR: You two want a ride back to the house?

Derek looks up at the sky and breathes deeply.

DEREK: No...I think we'll just...

A star shoots across the night sky.

DEREK: & MAGGIE: (simultaneously) ...follow that star.

Eleanor smiles and closes the window and the limo moves away. Maggie and Derek continue walking down the street into the night.

FADE OUT

THE END

We thank you for taking the time to read our script and hope that you enjoyed it! We welcome any and all comments and will respond to them.

If you are so inclined, you can hear the audio production of this play on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJIB3KMznBo

Thanks, once again. You may contact me through my website at www.jawilloughby.com I look forward to hearing from you!