Chapter 45 - Inspiration

[A/N - MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING FOR SOME REALLY DESCRIPTIVE GORE AND ALSO MILD CANNABALISM.]

After all that you've suffered, surely you would have an idea for the next pages of that book. And you did.

It was half past midnight. You'd all spent the night in a hotel in a town an hour away from Ambrose. You'd be back tomorrow to search for Bo and Lester.

But right now everyone was asleep in bed, and you were sitting in front of your typewriter with a smile.

Leone stared in awe at his actions, and felt the regret and disgust don on him. What had he done? Why? Why had he ever done this? Andrea would hate him! He didn't want that!

But then... why had he enjoyed it so much? Why had it felt so liberating? To remove the one obstacle in his path. Surely there was no shame in that. There couldn't be! He'd done what he had to to get what he wanted!

His body was on fire. His stomach churned. He felt a nauseating pride in what he'd done.

The front door creaked open.

Leone dove out the window and ran. He ran just as fast as his legs could carry him. He ran and never looked back–not even when he heard Andrea's screams.

She had found her father's body. Dead and bloodied.

Why was he so proud of that? Why was he so proud that she'd found her own father dead?

She'd seen his handiwork. Maybe she'd be impressed! Oh how proud she would be!

After all, he'd left not a fingerprint. Surely the police would be impressed with this!

And he'd never be caught.

Chapter 18

He never was caught. Not when he killed Andrea's father. Not when he gutted her boyfriend. Not when he ripped the intestines out of a barista who flirted with her and strung them up by the rafters of the very coffee shoppe they worked at.

And this time was no different.

He stalked up and down the halls, watching as the boy sat at the dinner table with his darling. Her new boyfriend. His name was Eli.

Leone hated him. Of course he did. For someone to be so close to his darling Andrea sickened him.

He'd been watching them for hours. They'd been talking and smiling and laughing... Disgusting. How could she do this to him?

Not that he would ever be mad at her. Why would he? She was perfect.

Leone watched as Eli stood up from the table and walked towards the door. He kissed Andrea's forehead.

Then Eli got in his car.

Andrea said goodbye to Eli for the last time.

***

Eli first heard the odd breathing in the backseat of his car right as he got in. And he dismissed it as his imagination.

But then the sound continued. Over. And over. And over.

His nerves got the best of him.

Eli parked the car in a parking lot and took a minute to calm himself. The noise was his imagination. It had to be. It wasn't possible that there was anyone else in the car. Who else would be there?

Who?

Who would be there?

And why?

How?

...but there was.

He knew it now.

As he listened. As he focused. He could feel it.

The odd space in the car that felt taken up.

The displacement of the air.

The aura of another person.

The last thing Eli ever thought of was Andrea.

He imagined her sitting there in the back of his car, surprising him. Her shirt was off. Her perfect body was hidden back there.

That's what it was.

He never got to live that fantasy.

The scalpel entered his jugular vein with a harsh *shunk*. Blood seeped down the edge of his shirt, and slithered down onto the seat.

Leone smiled and dragged the scalpel upwards, ripping open Eli's flesh. He drew the scalpel fully along the edge of Eli's face.

The cut made the skin loose. Eli would've screamed if he hadn't fainted from pain.

Leone carefully hooked his fingers under the edge of the open skin and began to peel it backwards. It was a small struggle to get it off fully, but eventually the skin fully released from the muscle of the head.

He smiled softly and placed the face on the passenger seat, then began to work at peeling away the scalp. He held the hair tightly in his fist, then slit the edge of the head open.

Again, he pried off the skin with his fingernails.

"Andrea loved your hair, you know. It's a pity she didn't see how horrid you were. I mean, why would she ever love your hair? It's the color of dishwater."

Leone's voice, though sing-songy and sweet, was perfectly malicious.

"And your hands... She loved those too. The way they touched her... How vile. How vile that you did that. How disgusting that you held her close."

He slit the skin and muscle of Eli's hands right at the knuckle, then popped loose each finger.

One. By. One.

"But what she loved best about you... It was your heart. She always thought you had a good one. She preached about you in her diary. She praised you. Like you were a deity."

This extraction was far less peaceful and precise. He drove the scalpel into Eli's chest, ripping through skin and cracking bone from the sheer force of it.

Leone slammed his fist into the hole and tore out the barely thumping muscle. The life fully left Eli's body after a few short seconds.

Leone sighed, "Let's see... Let's see if she was right. If you had a good heart..."

He sunk his teeth into the heart and tore a bite out of it. He chewed and swallowed.

Then spat it out.

"I guess my darling Andrea was wrong."

You yawned and flopped into bed with a smile. Your newest chapter was finally complete after months of struggling to write. You were proud of that.

[Words: 1007]