Haunting Memories

Jayden; Present Day
Sawyer had fell asleep at some point and I'd fallen into a trance as I watched her. She is beautiful, especially when she's sleeping looking so peaceful. I wasn't a fan of how drawn to her I was getting. Unlike the other guys, I didn't take notice in such things since my interests don't really involve girls. They seem to always be around, even tho I've never been with any of them that way. I had a girlfriend once upon a time, but she is long gone... along with my family.

She just had to have been over that day... the day I lost everything. My dad used to work with Asher's dad and knew it was a dangerous line of work. My girl and I were always together since first grade, we were hanging out in my room when those men broke in. When I heard my mother scream, I shot up and peaked into the hall where I could hear my mom pleading with a man. I grabbed my girls hand, quickly dragging her towards my closet to hide her while I came up with the best plan a 12 year old could. I cracked up my door making sure the hallway was clear before I made a dash to my parent's room, where I knew Dad kept his gun in the safe. He taught me how to use it specifically for this reason, but the adrenaline was making me shake and fumble up the combination.

The sounds of my mother and little sister's cries were drowning me, but then a shot went off. My mother yelled out the most heartbreaking scream, then another shot sounded and everything fell silent. Taking longer than I wanted too I finally focused on the safe in front of me and got the code to the safe right. I quickly grabbed the gun, just as I heard my father call out to the intruders. The sounds of things being thrown and broken started as my dad began to defend his family. I started to head towards the stairs that lead to the living room when the final gunshot went off and it was silent again. I froze, not sure who had come out victorious in that fight; when i began to hear multiple footsteps come up the stairs and I knew deep down it wasn't my father.

I stepped back into my parents room just as two men got to the top of the stairs. They walked right past the room I was hiding in heading straight for my room, like they knew the layout of our house and where I would be. I need to distract them long bough for my girl to make an escape, I jumped out into the hallway and pointed the gun at them.

"Hey!" I yelled out. The two men turned to me and smirked.

"Aw how cute. Looks like we have ourselves a little hero." The taller man said laughing.

They both had their attention on me, the shorter one out of the two had a nice shiner. I could see my girl peak out into the hall and start to sneak out behind them towards the window that lead to the roof. I felt a small amount of relief, that at least she was going to make it out of this nightmare I dragged her into. Then I felt big arms grab me from behind, knocking the gun from hands. He was way stronger than my 12 year old self, and dragged me down the stairs. My eyes fell on the blood bath that used to be my family, all sprawled out on the living room floor. I cried out for them, but none of them responded or even moved.

"Look what I found boys!" The man with the shiner yelled, as he carried my girlfriend down the stairs. He threw her on the floor in front of me; she cried out when she hit the ground, our eyes connecting.

"NO! Let her go!" I screamed out.

"Nah, I don't think we will. You see, we need to send a little message. But, it only takes one person to deliver it and I like your spunk kid. Plus we can't leave too many witnesses, and there's nothing like taking away everything someone loves and cares about. Leaving them all alone." The tall man said with a disgusting smirk on his face.

In one swift move the shorter man with the shiner, grabbed a fist full of my girls hair and pulled the gun out of his waistband and shot her point blank in the back of her head. The man holding me finally released me and I fell on to my knees. The three men all left as quick as they came. I sat there numb with pain and heartache looking at everyone I ever loved... dead. I stayed that way until the police arrived; even then I barely said a word. I just kept telling them to call Asher's dad, call Ronan. When he finally got to the house to talk with the police and get me, he promised we would get our revenge. That night I bunked with Asher and Logan for the first time.