37. seeking salvation

Start from the beginning

There he was. The Number Two Hero, but more importantly-the father of the boy you'd nearly just killed.

Endeavor stormed over to you and grabbed you by the shoulders, making no attempt to be gentle. The flames coming off his body seemed considerably hotter than before, and even in your hollow, despondent state, you instinctively winced.

"What the hell did you do?" Endeavor cried out. "What the hell did you do to Shouto?!"

You didn't know what to say. Was there anything you could say? Even as much of an abusive, self-centered piece of shit as Endeavor was, he was still better than you. At the very least, he could say that he'd never lost control and nearly killed someone.

For all his flaws, Endeavor wasn't a murderer.

But you could very well become one.

Which was why, instead of even trying to defend yourself, you just stared at him, long and hard, until tears started rolling down your cheeks.

"I-I'm sorry," you choked out. "I'm just... I d-don't know what the fuck is wrong with me. I'm so, so sorry. If you killed me right now, I wouldn't even blame you. It would be right thing to do. Fuck. Just kill me. Please just kill me. I know... that I deserve to die."

Endeavor clearly wasn't expecting that kind of response, because his blue eyes went wider than ever, and ever-so-slowly, he let go of you and took several steps back.

You watched, through your blurry, tear-filled eyes, as Endeavor clenched his fists and started trembling all over.

"...tell me that Shouto is going to be okay," he just barely whispered. "I'm not sure what you did to him. I've never seen someone fight by drinking another person's blood. But... he'll be okay, won't he? Tell me. Tell me that everything will be fine."

Unless you were too distraught to make sense of things, it looked like Endeavor was holding back tears of his own. Here he was, the man that Shouto had spent his entire life despising, the same man who he'd openly denounced to Izuku, and whose power he was struggling to come to terms with.

Endeavor was many things, but no matter how Shouto felt about him, there was no mistaking what you saw in front of your eyes.

This was still a father who valued his son's life, and who was desperately afraid of losing him.

A few more tears rolled down your cheeks. It was undeniable that Endeavor had tried to fulfill his ambition by using Shouto for disgusting, selfish purposes. But something told you that the fear in his eyes was genuine.

He was afraid of losing Shouto as a son, not a tool.

You sniffled and wiped some of the blood off your face. You had yet to even get a good look at yourself in a mirror, but you imagined it must have been a terrifying sight. But if Endeavor was disgusted, he certainly didn't show it. He was too consumed by worry to even care.

You hated yourself. You really, truly did. Your actions had been so vile, so heinous, that they were even making a person like him look infinitely better by comparison.

Perhaps the only good thing to come of this was that you now knew, without a doubt, that Endeavor did love his son.

But none of that would matter if Shouto died.

"...I don't know."

Endeavor had asked you to reassure him that everything would be fine, but how could you possibly lie to him on top of everything else you'd already done?