[01] the high road

Magsimula sa umpisa

Rosita Espinosa.

What a woman.

Beautiful in every way. Caring. Could definitely kill you.

Dani had interesting tastes.

The aggravating sound of the dead snarling interrupted the woman's daydreaming, causing her to perk up. Followed by the repeated smack of an object against one of the dead prick's skull, the sound had Dani smacking a hand against the glass. The truck slowed to a stop and the sisters watched silently as a woman destroyed the snarler's head, blood splattering across the floor. She grunted with each hit, before throwing the gun to the ground and panting as she looked at the truck.

"Hope you enjoyed the show, assholes!" She yelled up at them, wariness lining her features.

Abe stepped out, the rest of his group following behind. Dani took her place beside Rosita, Lucia beside Eugene, and assessed her carefully.

Her short brown hair was tied back, some strands blowing loose from her efforts. Soft, light brown eyes darted between each person she stood before. She was only a little taller than Dani, but by the looks of the thing on the ground, she could handle herself perfectly well. It was then that Danica noticed the other man on the ground, the alive but unconscious one, dressed in some form of tactical gear. His chest rose and fell slowly. Boyfriend, maybe? That would be a shame, Dani thought. She's hot.

"You've got a damn mouth on you, you know that?" Abraham told her, lifting his gun in the air. "What else you got?"

She stood a little taller, pushing her shoulders back and keeping her arms firmly at her sides, in an attempt to appear fearless but it fell flat when Dani noticed the quiver of her fingertips against her thighs.

"Look, I don't wanna hurt you guys—"

Dani scoffed, earning an elbow to the ribs from Rosita. The woman's eyes flicked to her own and paused there, unable to move anywhere else. Dani's hazel eyes fell to the girls lips as they opened, trying to form words but failing, before returning upwards. Confused and questioning, her brows pulled together, just as Abe cleared his throat, pulling the girl's attention again.

"We don't want to hurt you either. What's your name?"

She looked at each of them again, her eyes lingering a second longer on Dani before returning to the military man. "Tara."

"Nice to meet you, Tara. I'm Abraham Ford, this is Rosita Espinosa, Lucia and Danica Myers, and the man of the hour, Dr. Eugene Porter." Abe pointed at each person as he introduced them. At the final man's name, Dani watched him carefully, still not quite believing that he had the resolution to the end of the world as they knew it stored away in his head.

"You guys need a ride?" Rosita asked, nodding her head at the man on the ground.

"Y-Yes. Yeah, we gotta find his wife." She nodded, concern filling her voice at the mention of him. So not boyfriend.

"Who is he?" Dani asked her.

"Um. He's— That's Glenn." She responded, scratching the nape of her neck awkwardly.

"I'll help you get him in the truck. We can't change our route to D.C. Sorry to disappoint, but at least you won't be eaten by the undead pricks." Abe reasoned, lifting the man under his armpits while Tara struggled with his legs. "We'll tell you where we're headed on the way."