[07] liar

[ TW: homophobia (italic scenes) ]
7. Liar

"Alive or just breathing?"

THE BUS WASN'T SILENT, thanks to the music Abraham was playing through the stereo with a CD he found, and yet an awkward tension filled it entirely.

"Hey. You got another hair tie?" Tara asked, rotating fully in her seat.

Sighing dramatically, Dani pulled the spare off of her wrist. She'd replaced it twice since they'd been in this tin can on wheels. "Your hair is up. Why do you need another?"

Staring blankly, Tara slowly took the tie out of Dani's hand. "I flicked the other one at Eugene and he won't give it back..."

Dani deadpanned until she couldn't hold it any longer and her smile broke free. "You understand these things are a luxury these days?"

"Yeah. I'm having fun though." Tara beamed.

The woman sat behind her almost fell off her seat.

Tara faced forward again, twiddling the hair tie between her fingers. Glenn and Maggie sat together and Rosita sat behind Abe, playing with his hair as he drove. Things were looking good.

Too good.

"It's getting a little messy for you." Rosita told the driver.

"Gettin' ready for retirement. Relaxin' the grooming standards." Rosita rolled her eyes with a smile at his words. "Thinkin' about becomin' a plumber. Or a sheepherder, or something."

"You ain't herding sheep now, Abraham. Eyes on the prize." She reminded him.

"Damn right." He grinned. "That's my girl." He paused momentarily. "Maybe I'll let you shave me down all over... dolphin-smooth."

"Anyone got a spare bullet for my brain?" Dani mumbled, lying down across the seats.

Rosita laughed and slapped his shoulder. "I'll cut it for you tonight."

"Yes, ma'am."

"Hey, maybe Rosita can give you a trim while she's at it." Tara joked to a straight-faced Eugene. "Party's getting a little long in the back." The man didn't even acknowledge her. "Or is it your source of power?" She continued.

"I ain't slayin' a lion anytime soon. I wouldn't be placing any wagers on seein' me dispatch a thousand Philistines with the jawbone of an ass."

Dani lifted herself onto her elbows. "What?"

"Oh! So you'll just settle on saving the world, right?" Tara asked him.

"Yeah."

Noticing something was wrong, she shuffled forward. "What's up? Last night?"