Interlude: Who You're Meant to Be

Bidant stepped off the train, his deep green robes billowing in the steam. His plan had worked better than he had hoped. For the longest time, he had been trying to come up with a way to approach Aurelia, and the second he overheard Eliza and Kesi talking about their plan for Kesi to steal the gold from her mother, he felt like it was a gift that had dropped into his lap. Not that he had approved of what they were doing. Had it been under any other circumstances, he would have barged right in and scolded the two for their nefarious efforts. However, the small window of opportunity had been so graciously given to him, and he knew, at least on his part, with this deed, two wrongs could be righted with one act.

From there, everything else just fell into place. Aurelia's rush to make the train, his people filling up the car so the seat next to him was the only one open, and with Aurelia's openness to share in the first place, he considered the whole thing more fate than good planning. The second he placed the two gold coins in her hand, he knew she sensed something awry, but didn't worry about it. Instead, he happily sat back down as a middle-aged human filled Aurelia's empty seat.

Now, having made the round trip back from Swampstone, Bidant found himself in a good mood. He started to hum a small tune he had sung long ago, and he found his desire to visit his mate's grave quicken with each step. Knowing Darby, his assistant, would be waiting for him, he looked around, and instead of seeing the cheerful halfling that was twice the woman despite her small size, he caught sight of Eliza, Kesi, and a number of others boarding the train.

"Oh Kesi," he sighed. "Not you too."

For the longest time, Eliza had been Bidant's favorite granddaughter. At a young age, her mother and father had been in an airship accident, and Bidant became the only real family she had ever known. She might have grown up in the orphanage, but Bidant doted on her as if she were his own daughter. However, as life went on, she started to rebel against the orphanage and Bidant's teachings. At first, it came with talks of a goddess, but Eliza figured out pretty quickly that Bidant didn't approve. Having known the true purpose of Liberation Day, Bidant was instantly suspicious of any talk of a deity, but the minute Eliza dropped it, he let it go. Still, her behavior continued to change. Gone was the sweet innocent girl who owned his heart, replaced with a young woman constantly defying even the simplest tasks, her rebellious spirit emerging in audacious outfits, secret meetings, and suspected trysts.

In truth, Bidant was largely living in denial when it came to Eliza. He could have easily known the truth. His assistant had her eyes and ears everywhere, not only around the orphanage but also in the town. If he wanted to know, all he had to do was ask. Instead, he deliberately shielded himself from the truth; perhaps because he couldn't bear to confront the changed reality in Eliza.

"Good trip, sir?" came a feminine voice.

Bidant smiled and turned towards the voice he knew to be his assistant, as if his thoughts about her had summoned her into existence. Standing at a modest three feet tall was Darby, who exuded a warmth that matched her hazel eyes. Her chestnut curls cascaded artfully around her face, and a smattering of freckles adorned her sun-kissed complexion. Despite her petite stature, her presence conveyed both friendliness and a general happiness to see him.

"It could be better," he said, gesturing to his backside. Without looking, Darby nodded her head and moved to hook her arms into his. It wasn't that he needed the help, but he appreciated the gesture to take them away from Eliza.

"I could put some people on it if you'd like," Darby responded, guiding him off the platform. Subtly she directed him toward the orphanage, but he pulled south, prompting her immediate correction.