Chapter XI: Unity Fontaine

Unity Fontaine; A futuristic city built on an artificial island at the cross section of two seas. Funded by a coalition of united nations in the name of progress, it acts as an epicenter of science, innovation, and business. Supposedly, no one country owns the island, but money talks far louder than platitudes.

Though it'd been functioning for roughly a decade, the city wasn't deemed complete until a few years ago. To commemorate the completion, the demon lords agreed to move their semi-annual meeting there. I'm rather grateful my first time here isn't to attend that hellish conference. I'd like to enjoy the sights just once without constantly worrying about looking over my shoulder.

My sigil was enough to get me past the main gate, thankfully. I don't exactly have papers. Asher didn't care for doors, as you know. He blinked in for a moment to shoot me a flirty wave before disappearing, in search of his next conquest.

Despite it's small size, the city was extraordinary. Buildings stretched tall, circling a giant cobblestone plaza peppered with booths. Each booth featured a small sampling of products from different countries; textiles, art, food. You name it. At the very center stood an interesting fountain. Pink flowers floated around a golden statue, like little foot soldiers protecting a princess. A plaque inlayed in the marble basin dictated the statue as a donation from Mortuairum. Curious. Why would a closed country have anything to do with a unity mission?

It was far from the strangest thing about this place. A touch of the old world style I'd become accustomed to here remained, mainly in the smaller structures like the stalls, but the buildings were more modern than anything I'd seen here; Rectangles of glass and neon lights. The ground floor levels of many buildings were open concept workshops occupied by artisan types. Blacksmiths, bakers, and the like on display for the affluent to gawk at.

The science building was hard to miss. It was a massive pillar of blue light. The lobby wreaked like a hospital. A receptionist sat behind a desk, typing away on a- well, it wasn't a computer exactly. A hologram, that she could touch? I don't know, technology surpassed my immortal ass a long time ago, and we all know how well I am at grasping the concept of magic.

"Excuse me," I said, "I'm here to see someone named Christian Tesla."

She stopped her typing immediately to stare at me blankly. "Is he expecting you?"

"No, but-"

"One moment." She typed away. "He doesn't take visitors often, in case you weren't aware- Oh." The receptionist looked at her screen a little befuddled. "He'll... See you now. The lift is just down the hall. Top floor. You'll need this." She slid a keycard across the counter.

I get the impression this guy is a little bit more than Shelley let on. In my Earthly experience at least, penthouse office with restricted access on an already highly exclusive island usually meant a big deal. Also, the lift was an elevator. Let's not ignore that. Sure, there are cities with electricity here, but not with complex contraptions like elevators. Unfortunately, I don't think there's another way up. The same motion sickness that cursed me on boats applied to elevators, and apparently the demon lord blood hadn't done away with that wonderful quirk.

The doors opened to reveal a pristinely white lab with floor to ceiling glass panels and a full view of the ocean. Everything was almost a little too colorless for my liking, down to the white haired elf working diligently behind a table. "Come, come." He gestured me forward without breaking his concentration on his notes.

"You're Christian Tesla?" I questioned.

As he looked over his glasses, I saw crystal eyes that may have had color once. "You sound surprised."