Chapter XXXIV: Tenshi River

When I woke the next morning, I noticed the world outside my window had begun to change. The glorious colors of autumn were beginning to bleed. As orange and yellow leaves fell to the ground, viciously red ones grew in their place. This must be the start of the transition into ashe. It'd be the first unique season I'll observe here, and perhaps the most exciting considering it's essentially two months of Halloween.

It's good that the season of evil is upon us. The raised levels of magic energy should help Ricky to recuperate, but I can't wait that long. I've got to do something for him now and I think I know just the thing, and just the little elf and fairy to ask. Ash doesn't have that busy of a job, really. She picks up our guests room once a day, she'll do the dishes for me after dinner, and if she's bored, she'll help Vinny in the garden. The other servants don't care to have their personal spaces disturbed, even if it means their rooms won't get cleaned. I wouldn't mind, but I don't think there's much she can do for a dungeon.

I found her out in the garden, sat on the edge of the fountain reading a book. Yuu was somewhere nearby, too. His sugary scent is unmistakable. I'm beginning to wonder if he has some ability that allows him to sense others nearby because he always seems to know when I'm in the vicinity.

"It's not like you to come out here." He commented as he walked down the path.

Vinny popped out from behind one of the rose bushes, asking, "I'm not in trouble, am I?"

"No," I replied, seeing Ash about to ask. "You're not either. I came to ask a favor. I was thinking about putting together a healing bath for the Master. I'm not very familiar with flowers and all that shit, so I was hoping you could help."

Their faces lit up with joy. From the reading I've done, and from what I've witnessed, healing people is kind of moon elves' whole deal. Fairies, not so much, but they do love nature. Just as quickly as their smiles appeared, they faded and I knew exactly why. There was no mistaking that rough musky scent. I turned around to find Ryan standing a few feet behind me.

"Here to ruin our fun?" I asked.

"No. Actually, I think it's a good idea, but asking them for help isn't going to get you anywhere." He said, "Neither of them are originally from this region. They're just as unfamiliar with the flora here as you are."

"Well, I don't suppose you want to help?" I responded, being perhaps a little overly patronizing. It's not like he hasn't talked down to me several times. When he didn't hit me with a snarky comeback, I realized he was serious and my expression changed.

Ryan sighed, arms crossed, "If you're going to make a big deal of it, I won't."

"Sorry." I replied, "I just want to make him feel better. I'd be grateful for your help."

He looked past me, addressing Yuu. "The Tenshi River, you know where it is?"

"Of course." The elf answered.

"There's a salt on the bed of the river, it's dark red, almost black. The coarser you can find, the better. You shouldn't touch it, but Ash should be fine to. There's some empty mason jars in the pantry you can use to collect it." After receiving their instructions, Ash and Yuu happily fluttered off. Once they were gone, he told me, "Pour a bottle of gräslig in the bath, too. It's a kind of magic infused liquor here. The gifts Ricky came back with after the conference a few months ago, he never unpacked them. There should be a bottle in there. And Vin! Cut a few red roses for Chris. The ones that grow towards the northwest."

I'm not used to him being so cooperative. Even if it was a good thing, I felt uncomfortable seeing him break character. "Thanks. Can I ask, about the salt?"