Chapter 7- Old Friends.

"The stars are bright tonight," Clementine spoke softly, lying on a blanket on the grass.

 The group sat around a campfire, Ruby cooking dinner while Aasim wrote down the day's events, Louis playing some stupid card game with the younger boys and Violet sat with Clementine's head in her lap. It was a calm night, not on edge, not worried about threats, just nice calm time spent with the people they loved.

"They are, aren't they? It has been clear skies today though, makes sense." The blonde smiled, running her fingers through the brunette's half-damp hair. "Think we're gonna leave in the morning, we'll mark this spot on the map though... it's nice" 

Clementine nodded, shutting her eyes "I'm scared y'know.. I'm scared to go back. To see where everything happened. I'm worried I won't be able to handle it, Vi" she whispered, reaching and grabbing the blonde's spare hand. She always did when she needed reassurance.

Violet sighed softly, interlocking her fingers with Clementine's. "I'll be here, we all will, Clem. And if it gets too much, we'll be here to help you... I promise."

-----

The sun shone bright that morning, a cool breeze wafting through the trees. Heat was never unwelcome to the brunette, she had spent so much time in snow and rain that anything remotely warm was a blessing. 

Her eyes fluttered open, meeting the sight of clear blue skies and the sounds of birds chirping. She was the first one awake but she didn't mind, she wouldn't mind a little alone time. She slowly sat up, looking down at the blonde sleeping next to her. She looked so peaceful. Clementine placed a small kiss on her forehead before standing, stretching her legs out. 

She would have a few minutes before the others woke up so she decided to freshen up, washing her face in the lake and tidying up those iconic pigtails. Sure showers weren't exactly a thing anymore, but it was nice to keep some basic hygiene up.

As she finished tidying up her hair and placing her hat on her head, she heard the sound of small feet walking behind her, then sitting next to her "Morning Clem" A half-awake AJ spoke, leaning against the older girl.

"Good morning AJ, seems we're the first up huh?" she smiled at the boy, wrapping an arm around him. "How about me and you make breakfast and you can help me plan out our route for today?" She asked as she stood, walking with the small boy to the campfire.

They cooked in near silence, bar the occasional comment. They had grown comfortable in the silence they gave each other, it was a warm silence. They didn't make anything too complicated, not like they could in this world, just oatmeal and honey. Honey was one of those things that they didn't come across often, but when they did, it was a treat.

They served up their own and left the rest in the pot for when the others woke up, they didn't want to serve it up earlier and let it go cold. Nonetheless, they ate their food, looking over their maps.

"We could go this way, there's a Howe's on the way, maybe we could find some more supplies there!" AJ said excitedly, wolfing down his food. He always ate like it was the first meal he had had in years.

Howe's. Maybe it was that Howe's. But AJ was right, there could be supplies there that'd be useful. "That's a good idea AJ, we'll do that then" the brunette smiled, ruffling the boy's hair before eating her food.

The silence was soon broken, as the others began waking up slowly, probably because of the smell of food. "Oh fuck yeah, breakfast" Violet spoke sleepily as she sat up, rubbing her eyes.

"Language." Ruby spoke, serving the rest of the food up "There are kids around y'know"

"They've heard worse than fuck but fine mom" Violet laughed, moving to sit with Clementine and AJ "Good morning, what were you guys talking about?"