"And what are you tutting at us for?" said Ron irritably.

"Nothing," said Hermione in a lofty voice, heaving her bag back over her shoulder.

"Yes, you were," said Ron. "I said I wonder what's wrong with Lupin, and you -"

"Well, isn't it obvious?" said Hermione, with a look of maddening superiority.

"If you don't want to tell us, don't," snapped Ron.

"Fine," said Hermione haughtily, and she marched off.

"She doesn't know," said Ron, staring resentfully after Hermione. "She does, but that is Professor Secret..... she is too exhausted from the classes."

At eight o'clock on Thursday evening, Harry and Aishi left Hufflepuff dorms for the History of Magic classroom. It was dark and empty when they arrived, but harry lit the lamps with his wand and had waited only five minutes when Professor Lupin turned up, carrying a large packing case, which he heaved onto Professor Binn's desk."What's that?" said Harry.

"Another boggart," said Lupin, stripping off his cloak. "I've been combing the castle ever since Tuesday, and very luckily, I found this one lurking inside Mr. Filch's filing cabinet. It's the nearest we'll get to a real dementor. The boggart will turn into a dementor when he sees you, so we'll be able to practice on him. I can store him in my office when we're not using him; there's a cupboard under my desk he'll like. Aishi better let Harry stand forward during the exercise"

"Okay," said Aishi, trying to sound as though she wasn't apprehensive at all and merely glad that Lupin had found such a good substitute for a real dementor.

"So..." Professor Lupin had taken out his own wand and indicated that
The duo should do the same. "The spell I am going to try and teach you is highly advanced magic, well beyond ordinary Wizarding Level. It
is called the Patronus Charm."

"How does it work?" said Harry.

"Well, when it works correctly, It conjures up a Patronus," said Lupin, "which is a kind of anti- dementor - a guardian that acts as a shield between you and the dementor"

Harry had a sudden vision of himself crouching behind a Hagrid sized figure holding a large club. Professor Lupin continued, "The Patronus is a kind of positive force, a projection of the very things that the dementor feeds upon -- hope, happiness, the desire to survive -- but it cannot feel despair, as real humans can, so the dementors can't hurt it.But I must warn you, that the charm might be too advanced foryou. Many qualified wizards have difficulty with it."

"What does a Patronus look like?" said Aishi curiously."Each one is unique to the wizard who conjures it."

"And how do you conjure it?""With an incantation, which will work only if you are concentrating,with all your might, on a single, very happy memory."

Harry cast his mind about for a happy memory. Finally, he settled on the moment when he had first met his mom. Aishi thought of when she watched the stars with her uncle for the first time.

"The incantation is this --" Lupin cleared his throat. "Expecto patronum!"

"Expecto patronum, " Harry and Aishi repeated under their breath, "expecto patronum."

"Concentrating hard on your happy memory?"

The thought of their memory and Something whooshed suddenly out of the end of thier wand; it looked like awisp of silvery gas.

"Did you see that?" said Aishi excitedly. "Something happened!"

"Very good," said Lupin, smiling. "Right, then -- ready to try it on a dementor?"