Chapter Twenty-Four - What Are You Up To?

Start from the beginning

That was saying a lot. So was the flutter in her stomach and the warmth between her legs.

"I suppose it doesn't matter in the end anyway."

"I...all right. So, does that mean I'm forgiven?"

"It means that it doesn't matter."

Isla didn't know what to say to that. Not in the least.

*****

Arturo watched her. He watched how silent she became, her body language when she was closing herself off from him, from anyone and anything just by the way she was sitting, and then there was the apology she'd given.

As if it actually mattered whether or not his feelings had been hurt.

He believed her apology was sincere. He didn't get many of them, and the ones he did get always managed to sound sincere by those practiced in apologizing and not meaning it. There was a difference in actually being sorry about something, and not wanting to get shit canned from a job because of a fuck up. The best fuck ups came when people tried to sell company secrets to the moles he'd planted, but that was entirely different from this.

He could tell this was sincere. She seemed so different from his blue or white collar employees desperate to keep their source of income. For one thing, there was no desperation. Maybe that was how he really knew. Whatever, he didn't care anymore, but it was kind of fun watching her sulk and be all embarrassed over something so trivial. What did she think? That she was the first person to ever say something negative or callous against him?

Arturo wasn't sure how long he would torture her with this. It was kind of fun watching her reactions, but it would be too cruel to go on with it or too long. Even though he had decided none of it mattered, she still sat with her shoulders bunched and tense, barely glancing out the window, and never looking at him.

Yes, still very clearly uncomfortable, but he wouldn't say anything. Her honesty about his own sexual needs had nearly made him smile. She was strong enough to handle him like a big girl, and she would stop pouting soon enough.

He could see the flicker of interest in her eyes when she did finally look up and realize that the Limo was no longer on the highway. In fact, they were slowing down considerably as other cars took up space on the road.

"Where are we going?"

She barely looked at him when she asked.

"The Washington Capitols are playing tonight against the Rogues. Do you like hockey?"

Her gaze finally snapped over to him. "What? Are you serious? Yes, I love hockey! We're really going to a game?"

Arturo nodded.

Isla continued to gush. "I love the Rogues! They're my favorite team!"

"Because they're the home team?"

"Because they're awesome!"

Arturo took pride in that. It was also amusing how she said that as though stating a fact. "It's good to hear that, considering I own half the team."

Isla's eyes flew wide. "You do? Since when?"

He shrugged. This open adoration was different from what he normally received. Women could be impressed with him and his money, but he had yet to impress any woman over the fact that he owned half of the city's hockey team.

Isla held nothing back in the way she looked at him. There was nothing fake about it, and nothing that suggested she hoped to attain any special luxuries or privileges either. "Since always do you own half of the Rogues? I would've known about that."