Ch. 10: A Spirit Reborn (Again)

"So you're telling me that we are housing a God?! Why didn't you say he was one earlier!" Jill, the head nurse exclaimed. She looked ready to beat the shit out of Cynder, but she didn't. The poor man looked broken. Her team was assessing Tork's injuries, which were minor but a pain to recover. They couldn't reduce the size of it or make any actual healing effects happen to him.

"Tork, how did you acquire these injuries? They are impossible to heal." Jill questioned.

"Well, there's a massive dark blue fire outside, and for that reason I have a status called abyssal burn, whatever that means."

"Hmm, I'll look it up in a bit, but it's most likely tied to our new guest, correct Cynder?"

He gave a small frown to her, "Only family and gods can call me Cynder, that's guild leader to you."

Before he could blink, a towel had whipped him across his face.

"Do not forget that I am your aunt. Just because you have a tendency to forgot things doesn't mean me, understood boy?"

"Yes, auntie Jill." He looked away, expecting another whip to the face but was instead met with cold air.

Turning over, he saw May, the guilds highest level mage, trying every spell in the book to heal Lithum, to no avail. Mortem was sitting right above his head, sound asleep.

"I should've done more to protect him." Cynder looked away from the charred body. He was burnt beyond recognition, his clothes were also gone. "He would be pissed about that," Was all he could think for a moment, before another towel came flying at his face.

"Clean yourself up with that and try to listen to Tork, he's been trying to talk to you for ages." Jill turned around and pulled out a medium sized book. It was the "Churches Guide to Wayward Status Effects".

"Let's see, ah here we go Abyssal Burn page 24."

"Are you okay Guild Leader? It's my fault don't worry about it. If I didn't tell you what the little one was saying then he wouldn't have gotten hurt." Tork was trying to comfort him, using his translations of draconic to inform Cynder of what Lithum was doing earlier.

"No no, it's my fault Tork. If I had simply watched behind me then that traitor wouldn't have gotten the drop on us. I should've realized what he was when he tried hanging out with that necromancer, or when he snatched a bat out of the air, or the time he wouldn't let us see under his helmet..." he trailed off, realizing he had been played by the very start.

     "Yeah, but now he's burning with that harpy bitch sister of his so that takes care of that- Cynder?"

     Cynder had suddenly stood up watching Jill's face drop as she took one more look at Lithum.

     "Jill, what is it? What's wrong with them?"

     He had rushed over to read the entry but she slammed it shut on his finger. He jolted back but she raised her hand to shush him.

     "May, you can stop wasting mana now, they won't recover." Was all she stated before looking back to Cynder.

     "What?"

     "Abyssal burns can only be removed by the one who cast them. They are also known by the name Abyssal Blight since they remove all beneficial effects and can't be healed." She stated, watching him rush over to the corpses side.

"No! No no no no no no no no no no..."

He was crying again, harder than ever this time. But they weren't falling, rather fading away. Cynder noticed this when they didn't hit his arm and briefly looked at Lithum.