Ch 2: Wait!

[Jonas Fletcher signing in]
[Age-23]
[Height-5'7]
[Skin color-White]
[Pairing identical bodies, please hold]

     He watched as the window, or system as it called itself, started a loading animation. In the animation, he saw people but they didn't resemble, humans. These people had horns, while some had multiple limbs. Skin colors ranged from crimson red, to ebony white. Some even looked to be half lizard as they were covered in scales and had claws and fangs. These images went on before a new notification popped up on screen. This one wasn't the light blue that was being shown, or yellow like the text. It was a bright, flashing red.

[ERROR]
[BODY MATCHING FAILED]
[RESTART]
[YES OR NO]

The bright red text kept flashing. He was confused, what would happen if he pressed no. Would he be stuck here forever? He didn't want to be stuck in this nothingness forever so he reached out and pressed the yes button.

[Restart confirmed]
[Pairing with closest available body]

     The screen went black while the text stayed floating in the air. More things were shown, with seemingly no end.

     "Is this the right choice? What will happen once the loading is done?" He wondered to himself. A light blue notification dinged into existence, snapping him out of his thoughts.

[Hello, Jonas Fletcher. I am the system. I am directly linked to your mind. You are going through a process called 'reincarnation'. I am currently finding the best suitable body for you to inhabit]

     The text surprised him. If it was directly connected to him then he could talk to the system and learn more about this place.

     "System, what is this world? What are those things on the screen?"

     Another notification popped up, this one the same color as the previous one.

[This is the world of Eternia. Those things you see are the people of this world. There are many creatures that exist in this world, including but not limited to Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Shapeshifters, and Drakons to name a few]

     The thought of coming back with scales or being short terrified him, he much liked his body the way it was. He was much more curious about one thing, however.

     "Why am I here?"

     He expected the system to come up with some half assed answer saying he was 'The Chosen One' or something just as corny. Much to his surprise, it took a few minutes before the notification came into his field of view.

[You may not see it yourself, but I have decided to give you a second chance. You weren't the best, but you tried and maybe I gave you this chance for the last effort you gave before your death]

     He thought of Ms. Dorian, what he did for her in the coffee shop. He didn't linger on it for too long. Not good to linger on one's own death.

[Body matched]
[Preparing to transfer]

The sudden noise helped him move away from the thoughts of his life and he looked ahead to see the screen had changed once more. There were no more people, but a statue. The statue was surrounded by trees and moss, so it had been there for a long time. Its eyes were closed and he could make out what looked like a cloak over its body. Wings peered out from behind the small frame and it appeared to be holding a dagger. It had a mess of hair that poked out from under the cloak.