34 | 𝑶𝒍𝒅 𝑷𝒍𝒂𝒄𝒆𝒔, 𝑵𝒆𝒘 𝑻𝒊𝒎𝒆𝒔

I found myself overwhelmed with frustration and disappointment towards Aesira when she departed without me

I found myself overwhelmed with frustration and disappointment towards Aesira when she departed without me. It feels like a recurring pattern – just as moments of improvement in our relationship surface, even if only slightly, her emotional barriers resurface, reintroducing a noticeable distance between us. 

I comprehend the reasons behind it. I inflicted significant pain on her in the past, particularly when I callously asserted that she held no special significance and was no different from any other girl, going so far as to claim that she meant nothing to me. Those words haunt me daily, and I am acutely aware of the remorse they evoke. Yet, a lingering part of me clings to the possibility of some form of redemption and hope for reconciliation.

With a determined sense of purpose, I set out on a mission to locate her, confident in my knowledge of where she tends to be. As I made my way, an intuition guided me towards our cherished spot or its vicinity. The journey led me to the lake, retracing the familiar path we once joyfully traversed during our childhood. Nostalgia lingered in the air as I approached the spot where we used to play.

There she was, seated at the water's edge, her feet immersed in its tranquility. A serene ambiance surrounded her, and it became evident that she was enveloped in her own private world. Drawing nearer, I observed her with closed eyes, earphones in place, and a gentle melody escaping her lips as she sang to herself. The sight painted a poignant picture of vulnerability, stirring a mix of emotions within me as I contemplated the significance of this moment.

Aesira's singing had been a constant presence in our shared history, a talent she generously shared with me alone. While she excelled at it, the performances were usually reserved for our private moments. It had been quite some time since I last heard her melodious voice. Seizing the opportunity, I quietly settled down beside her, appreciating the beauty of her song. Lost in the music, she remained blissfully unaware of my presence.

After immersing myself in the familiar cadence for a while, I gently tapped her arm. Startled, she let out a surprised squeal, springing to her feet in a reflexive response to the unexpected interruption. The abrupt shift in her demeanor revealed the depth of her absorption in the music, and I couldn't help but smile at the spontaneity of the moment.

Startled by my sudden appearance, Aesira's initial reaction was laced with surprise and a hint of irritation.

"What the fuck? How long have you been there?" she barked, swiftly removing her earphones. The abrupt interruption had evidently caught her off guard, and the sharpness in her tone hinted at a mixture of emotions—perhaps a blend of shock, frustration, and curiosity.

Realizing the questionable timing of my approach, especially given Aesira's solitude and the earphones in her ears, I offered an apologetic chuckle.

 "Sorry," I admitted, "I haven't been here long," I quickly added, attempting to diffuse any tension my unexpected presence might have caused.

Straightforwardly, I asked the pressing question that had led me to seek her out, "Why did you leave without me?" My inquiry hung in the air, a direct reflection of the lingering confusion and frustration that fueled my pursuit.