5. The Dinner

The company at the table is painfully quiet as I sip my mead. Besides the standard greeting, there's been minimal conversation since we arrived. A house elf places soup around the table, but no one thanks her. Poor thing. I can't imagine treating Deek or Penny like that.

The only aid to the silence is the gentle clinking of spoons against the dishware. The beef broth soup, filled with carrots, potatoes, onions, and roast beef, is incredibly delicious, but I can't seem to find my appetite. Between the circumstances and the corset, my appetite has been sufficiently suppressed until I can get home and enjoy some mead and a cheese plate with my friends.

"Not hungry, darling?" Lars asks from his place across the table from me. I snap my attention to him, eyes narrowing at the term of endearment. "Is the soup not to your liking?"

"It's delicious," I assure him. In a daring move towards a high-society family, I add on, "please send my regards to your house elf."

Mrs. Becken clears her throat. "Pixy," she summons. The house elf, clad in a plaid makeshift dress, appears at Mrs. Becken's side. "Our guests would like to extend their gratitude for your soup."

Pixy bows her head in respect. "Yes, Pixy, the soup is delicious. I can't wait to sample the remainder of the courses."

"Pixy is most appreciative of your kind words, miss," Pixy answers bashfully. I study the house elf closely. Her attire is clean, which is atypical for most house elves that I've encountered in homes. She even has little boots which appear to be crafted just for her. "Do the guests need anything else from Pixy? Pixy is worried the lamb may burn if left unattended for too long."

"That's all, Pixy. Thank you," Mr. Becken dismisses. Noting my curiosity, Mr. Becken continues with an explanation of Pixy. "Pixy has been with my family for generations. She's been freed three times from us, but she prefers to stay.

"You must take wonderful care of her," Dad compliments.

"We'd like to think so. She's part of the family. She's welcome to most activities with us, but she still has her duties. We pay her quite well."

His answer surprises me. Could it be that I had this family entirely misunderstood?

The conversation dies quickly after that, leaving us in silence once again. Through two more rounds of food—lamb roast with summer vegetables and a light pudding, the conversation is minimal and surface-level. They ask about my plans after Hogwarts, some about Dad's work, and he returns the favor.

We find that Lars is an only child, and he was sent to Durmstrang after a mishap with his Hogwarts letter. He obviously had magic, but his letter never came. The family was in the midst of moving, and the letter was allegedly misdirected. His parents reached out to Durmstrang, who accepted him before his Hogwarts letter finally arrived.

His parents live a relatively modest life despite their clear abundance of wealth displayed within their home. They're descendants of some supposedly powerful family in Norway, so they claim. It's evident that they don't enforce the same level of modesty on their son. He flaunts their wealth with jeweled rings, fancy suits, and an ornate pocket watch.

And then they start asking about our wealth and family strength over tea after dinner.

"May I ask the purpose of this dinner?" Dad finally requests.

Lars's lips pull into a smirk as he leans back in his chair. It's clear he was awaiting this conversation. "Of course," Mr. Becken answers. "Pixy, the contract please." The house elf appears with a roll of parchment in her hand. Mr. Becken dismisses her immediately and hands the parchment to Dad.