Chapter Thirty Six

Depuis le début

"Look at you threatening me with a gun. Maybe I should just shoot both of you and be done with it. That sounds about right and I'll start with your precious little boy." Daddy threatens turning towards me with a murderous look on his face.

"Don't you dare hurt my son." Mom screams trying to get up but she is clearly in pain.

"I'll kill him first and then you next." Daddy chuckles in a way that makes my skin crawl in fear.

"Caleb leave me alone. Come here baby." Mom calls out.

"Do not move Isaiah." Daddy yells the gun still aimed at me.

Mom gets to her feet and reaches for the gun once more but before she can my dad squeezes the trigger and fires. The gun goes off and mom screams.

"Isaiah!"

I wake up with a start, a scream lodged in my throat, my whole body drenched in sweat. Ruby startles awake and immediately notices my panic so she rushes to my side and starts licking my face cleaning up my tears and sweat.

My heart feels like it's struggling to beat out of my chest and I can barely breath.

Fuck.

This cannot be happening again. I have not had a nightmare this intense in months so I'm quite shook up from it. The time on my alarm clock lets me know that it's four am in the morning meaning I've only managed two hours of sleep tonight. I toss the covers away and get out of bed with Ruby right behind me.

"I'm okay girl. I'm okay." I reassure her even though I am the furthest thing from okay.

When I get to the bathroom my reflection on the mirror nearly knocks me off my feet. My eyes look haunted and bloodshot like I haven't slept in days. I take off my drenched t-shirt and toss it into the laundry basket. My fingers caress the scar on my stomach as flashbacks of the vivid dream still linger at the back of my mind.

I step away from the mirror and grab a fresh t-shirt and my running shoes from my closet. There is no going back to sleep for me which means Ruby and I are going for a run. She knows the drill so she is right behind me when I leave my room.

As I run I cannot help but think about what has brought my nightmares back.

My current fight with Kennedy.

Ever since she found out that my mom is the senator she has been avoiding my calls and texts. I even went by their house yesterday after church when Archer told me that she called in sick for work but Glynn refused to buzz me in on orders from her. It's not like I hid the truth from her intentionally, I was going to tell her that is why I invited her to Cairo's birthday but fate had other plans and she found out before I could tell her.

In all honesty I understand why she is mad. She let me fully into her life, even with her dysfunctional parents but I did not extend her the same courtesy. It has been a while since someone was mad at me and it's taking its toll on me thus the nightmares. I need to fix this situation with Kennedy and quick because I need her. She is my happiness and without her in my life I am afraid the dark thoughts will creep back in and I cannot go back to that dark period in my life.

When the sun starts rising I end my run around the compound so Ruby and I head back into the house. I go directly to the kitchen to get a glass of water and I am surprised to find mom in there all dressed and ready for work.

"Morning mom."

"Morning baby. You okay?" She asks looking concerned.

I am too tired to lie and I'm sure that it is obvious on my face so I don't bother lying. I grab a bottle of water from the fridge, pour some out for Ruby in her bowl before drinking the rest.