SIX

The evening air, filtered and controlled, welcomed her as Mia stepped outside. Sam awaited, a familiar figure against the backdrop of the regulated cityscape. "5:30. Right on time!" Sam beamed, extending his arm out to Mia to hold on to. "I was just about to knock, should have known you'd be one step ahead of me."

"Always." Mia blushed, grabbing ahold of Sam's arm, leading her to the automatic car that awaited their arrival on the street. The door hissed open, welcoming the couple to the back seat of the vehicle.

The Dome's controlled lights illuminated the city as Mia and Sam ventured into the heart of the artificial metropolis, the hum of the car filling the silence of the ride to their destination. Mia watched as the wheel turned on its own, meticulously making its way through the streets.

"You look absolutely stunning." Sam said, breaking the silence.

"Thank you. You look very handsome." Mia's eyes shifted over to Sam, admiring his appearance. "You always do, I shouldn't be surprised." Mia moved closer, her head resting on his shoulder. Sam planted a kiss on Mia's forehead, wrapping his arms tightly around her waist.

"You are going to love where we are going." Mia perked up, excitement shining in her brown eyes. "It's a renowned restaurant in the city. Only the best for my love."

"Oh Sam, I-." Before Mia could finish her praise to Sam, a structure had caught her eye. The unfinished Data Analysis Headquarter stuck out like a sore thumb as the car drove into town. Her heart began to beat loudly in her chest, pounding in her ears as she kept her focus on the building. The sunset's glow surrounded the structure, and something in Mia wanted to get closer to the building.

"Mia?" Sam spoke softly, his hand touching Mia's face gently, turning her attention back to him.

"Sorry, I was distracted by that." Mia pointed towards the building, the structure now further away as the car drove along.

"A building?" Sam had a look of concern. "You feeling okay?" He pressed the back of his hand to Mia's forehead, his eyes examining her.

Mia shook her head, "No no, the fact that it's still there. It's an eyesore don't you think?" She lied, nervously smiling. Sam's eyes widened, turning his head to look out the back window,  the building growing smaller off in the distance.

"I guess? Maybe the construction was delayed?" Sam brought his attention back to Mia, his hands intertwining with hers. "You seem.. uneasy," he squeezed her hands tightly. "Want to talk about what's going on?" His striking blue eyes locked onto Mia, indicating his attention was all hers.

"I've just become more attentive, that's all." Mia squeezed Sam's hand in response, giving him another smile before changing the subject. "So this restaurant, where exactly is it?"

"Not far. Maybe another twenty minutes and we'll be there." Sam's hands wrapped around Mia's waist once more, a sly smile playing on his lips. "Until then, I think you owe me something since I didn't get to see you the rest of the day. I was lonely" He frowned playfully, pulling Mia closer to his body. "And you know I hate being lonely." Sam leaned closer to her face, his eyes gazing into her baby browns.

"Sam." Mia whispered against his lips. "You know I'd never let you be lonely." She closed the gap between them, their lips meeting in a tentative kiss. In that moment, the world around them faded. The kiss was a bittersweet convergence of emotions- a fusion of the comfort they found in each other's company and the unspoken acknowledgement of their promise to one another. Mia, caught between the warmth of Sam's affection, allowed herself to be enveloped in the intimacy of the moment. Sam's hands roamed her body, his gentle touch sending shivers down her spine as his hands explored back down to her waist, unbuckling her seatbelt and his own, laying Mia down in the backseat, his lips never leaving hers. The cars seatbelt alarm beeped, making the two chuckle into their kiss, Sam reaching to the center console to silence the alarm.