ONE

Mia Brandy awoke to the hum of artificial light filtering through the walls of her room. As her eyelids fluttered open, the sterile surroundings greeted her, a symphony of white surfaces and seamless edges. The room, like her life, was meticulously organized, every item in its designated place, and each day carefully planned.

With a silent sigh, Mia swung her legs over the edge of her perfectly made bed, the soft material conforming to the curve of her body. She glanced at the clock embedded in the wall – 6:00 AM, the designated hour for all inhabitants of the Dome to rise. Time, like every aspect of her existence, was regulated with precision.

An automated voice echoed through her bedroom, a gentle reminder of the day's schedule. "Good morning, Mia. Today's agenda includes nutrition assessment, physical conditioning, and data analysis at the Learning Center. Please ensure prompt attendance."

Mia rose with practiced efficiency, her bare feet meeting the cool, smooth surface of the floor. Her gaze flickered towards the mirrored wall, revealing a reflection that adhered to the Dome's standards of flawlessness. A cascade of curly dirty blonde hair framed her face, her light brown eyes glistening with determination.

The morning routine unfolded with ritualistic precision. Mia navigated the compact space, following the prescribed sequence of actions – a shower regulated to an exact duration, the selection of a standardized uniform, and the meticulous application of minimal makeup. She lingered briefly on the image of her own face, a mask of composure that masked the subtle curiosity simmering beneath. Mia brushed her, now straightened, hair away from her face, her gaze drifting off to the picture of her family set on her vanity. Smiles spread across their faces, sincere and happy.

Exiting her room, Mia joined her family downstairs, her mother in the kitchen fixing herself a cup of coffee, while her father franticly shuffled through his work bag.

"Where is it." Mia's father mumbled to himself, not noticing the presence of his daughter.

"Morning, Dad." Mia spoke softly, setting herself next to him at the table. "Missing something?" lifting her hand, she dangled her father's work key fob in front of his face. "Dropped them on the stairs again."

"I would lose my head if it wasn't attached." He grabbed the key fob from Mia's hand. "Thank you my dear. What would I do without you?"

"Run around making messes." Mia's mother laughed, settling herself next to Mia, kissing her daughter softly on the forehead as she set her breakfast plate in front of her. "Good Morning, blossom."

"Morning, Mom." Mia sat up straighter, pulling her plate closer to her. "What are your plans today?" She said, taking a bite out of a piece of toast.

"While your father is at work I'm meeting up with Nana to take her out for the day. She's been getting restless in that new Elder Center. Sickens me that Mic- Mr. Caddel would do such a thing to these elderly people." Mrs. Brandy sighed, placing the palm of her hand against her head. "Sorry. I just-" She stopped herself from saying another word, looking up at her husband. "Honey, aren't you going to be late?"

6:45 AM. She was right, her father was running five minutes behind schedule now.

"Oh!" Mr. Brandy stood quickly, rushing over to Mia to press a gentle kiss on her head. "Goodbye, Mia. Have a good day at the Learning Center." He scurried out the door, closing it loudly behind him.

Mrs. Brandy laughed. "Your father, he-"

"Also, listen for the wind today." Mr. Brandy opened the door, peaking his head through the door frame before shutting it once more heading off to work.

Mia's father worked at the Weather Center, controlling and programing the weather within the Dome walls. When Mia was a little girl, he would make the wind whistle in patterns especially for her. Although she never understood how her father did it, the sound always made her feel like he was right there next to her at the exact moments she needed him.

Smiling, Mia took a sip of her coffee. "You still enjoy the wind whistles?" Her mother asked.

"Of course. I would listen to them all day if I could."Mia looked down at her electric band on her wrist, her schedule scrolling across the screen along with the current time. "And looks like it's time to leave." Mia held her head high and stood up from the table, collecting her plate and setting it in the automatic sink, watching the water begin to rinse off the crumbs.

Grabbing her bag, she slung it over her shoulder, the weight of its familiar contents a comforting reassurance.  Looking into the mirror near the entry way of her house she fixed her hair to lay evenly on her shoulders. "Perfect." She whispered, giving a nod to her mother before stepping outside the front door.

Mia stepped into the street, the morning dew still fresh in the air. The car with no driver sat awaiting Mia's arrival, the back door open awaiting her entry. The automated vehicle, a symbol of the Dome's efficiency, hummed softly as it anticipated the routine journey to the Learning Center. Yet, today was different. Mia hesitated.

With a decision that rippled through the carefully planned order, Mia closed the car door. The airlock sealed with a soft hiss, and she found herself standing on the quiet street, liberated from the expected course of the morning commute. Mia turned to start walking to the Learning Center, her mind focused as she continued her pace to get to her destination in a timely manner.

As she navigated the streets, the morning sun began to shine down on her skin, glistening brightly in the sky. She squinted her eyes, looking up at the ray of light, blocking her vision.

Turning a corner, Mia felt something bump into her shoulder. Shielding herself from the sun, she looked up, a tall boy standing in front of her, a scowl on his face. "Hey! Watch it you bit-" The boy went silent, his eyes locking onto Mia.

"Sorry, I didn't see you there." Mia said, her eyes examining the boy.

The boys expression changed, his eyes widening slightly. "Mia? Right?"

Mia nodded. "Yes. And you are?" She examined the boy some more, trying to decipher if she knew him or not. His posture was poor, his brown wavy hair was a mess, uniform wrinkled and his shoes covered in what looked like to be mud.

"Tyler. But I prefer Ty." He crossed his arms, looking Mia up and down. "You're far off from your path, aren't you?"

"I... I decided to take a different path today," Mia admitted, her voice carrying what felt like the weight of a confession. She looked down at her wrist, the time startling her. "I must go!" She pushed passed the boy and ran down the road, increasing her speed to ensure she wasn't late.