Pulled Apart at the Seams

"Grand Duchess Margaux Romanov joins us!" cried a man, hitting the table with his fist. "We require your head." He stood up from his place and tightly gripped his gun.

"On what grounds?" I asked. I stopped several feet from him. "If you require my head, I must ask on what grounds you need it for."

"You ruined the last attempt on your family. Now we must have yours. We are here to finish our job in taking your and their lives," the man snarled at me.

"Ah, I see. But you are one and a half decades past that. I would presume you are always searching for my family." I saw James standing behind them. I raised my brows and he nodded, understanding what I had asked for him. "I'm afraid I would not allow you to take my head."

"It's not up to you," snapped the man. "We are here as a courtesy. We are not asking. Jack, you know what to do." He moved away to let a young boy through who was shaking. I pulled my shoulders back and met his gaze. He looked away. He pulled his gun up to his shoulder. Jack shuddered and gulped.

"Based on the laws set forth by the Russian government, we hereby request the deaths of the Romanov family, the last royal family of the Russians," his voice was shaking. Jack was slow in stating the words and moved the gun to point at my heart as he continued, "The Romanov family are the last remaining hope for their followers and must be crushed in order to stop their followers and their demands to bring them back to the throne with the Grand Duchess Margaux Romanov on the throne. So hereby, we are here to follow through with the law."

"I must applaud you, Jack," I told him. "And I'm not trying to belittle you by saying that." I looked back at the older man and stated, "Why must you request a child finish this through? He clearly wasn't even born when the revolution started."

"I'm twenty six," Jack told me. "I know enough. My father helped in the revolution and took part in the first assassination attempt. I am here to finish his job."

"He is old enough. He is doing this because it was asked of him."

"Look at him, he's shaking." I pressed my chest against the gun, and Jack looked shocked at my action. "He won't shoot me. If you want me dead, I suggest having someone who can pull the trigger." I looked at Jack and muttered, "Are they holding someone against you? Someone who they would kill if you don't shoot me? We can help, you don't have to do this if you don't want to."

"Don't try to bribe him. Jack, shoot her."

"I have to do this," Jack told me. "They have my babushka and my wife."

"We can help them, get them out of Russia and here to England. They will be safe. So will you." I gripped the trigger, letting his hand drop the front of the gun and gripped his other hand tighter. I shifted the gun away from my heart and towards my shoulder. "Do you trust me?" I asked him, "We can help your babushka and wife and anyone else they might have against their will. You just want to trust me."

"Jack," hissed the other man. I glanced at James who gripped his shoulder.

"Sir, please follow us. You are being placed under arrest." Jack locked onto my gaze and nodded. I pulled the trigger. The gun dropped to the floor. Another Auror grabbed Jack. They walked away in a soft conversation. Theseus grabbed the gun and took out the remaining bullets. I walked back towards my office, noticing several people staring at me. Blood was soaking through my shirt. The bullet hole was burning and I kept my head high as I kept walking.

"Margaux," Newt muttered as I passed him. "You need medical help. You can't hide away from this." My shoulders shuddered and I gasped away tears.

"Margaux," Diane said. "Let me help you. Perseus, help Theseus, would you?" Diane helped me sit down in my office. I unbuttoned my shirt and pulled down my left side to allow Diane access to my wound. Diane cleaned the blood up before touching the wound. I let out a few tears. "Oh, Margaux. It's okay." I bit my lip and kept my eyes closed. I let out a small squeal when Diane placed a potion onto my wound. "Sorry, almost done, honey." Diane helped me pull my shirt back up over my shoulder and gave a small wave of her wand to clean up the blood and the hole. I buttoned up my shirt and stood up, facing the door. "You two can come in now." Theseus stood next to me, a hand on my shoulder.

"Save me from the told-you-so speech," I told him. "I'm not in the mood for it." He moved his hand to my lower back. "I'm okay. It's not his fault."

"I know that," he responded.

"I have some work, I should get back to it."

"You don't have to. I'm giving you some time off from the Auror office. You won't have to report back until next week. You can focus on the work here. I'm making sure that no Russian delegation comes to visit for the time being."